1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

twist lock strobe question on Whelen 9000

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by dave_dj1, Sep 5, 2011.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I just aquired a Whelen Edge 9000 for cheap, it has take down lights, alley lights, a set of flashing halogens, 4 corner strobes and front and rear twist lock strobes.
    My problem is, I can't seem to make the twist strobes work, I have everything else working fine, even the hi/lo for the corner strobes.
    Is it possible that all 4 bulbs are bad? How do you tell (by looking) if in fact the bulbs are shot?
    The light bar does have two power units to fire the strobes, I guess one of those could be bad. I can run the front or rear corner strobes independently of each other if that helps.

p.s. I just hate to order bulbs and find out I wasted the money. I will order them if y'all think that's the issue. I don't know how to test a strobe.
    I did swap the plug on one of the corners to the twist and it didn't fire, and I hooked the twist power to the corner and it didn't fire that one either so I'm stumped.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Unhook the bulbs from that supply. Turn that supply on. If you hear it firing and making noise its working. If not its shot. Also there may be a fuse inside that's just bad for that supply so double check that. That's a easiest way to figure out if the bulbs are shot or not.
  3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Just don't stick your tongue in the socket! Not a good idea :yow!:
  4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

LOL, both good advice :mechanic:
    I feel like a dummy, I had checked the "other side" power supply looking for a fuse without realy taking it apart, I spun the light around on the bench and took it apart and it turns out I had a blown fuse!
    I have bad hearing and had the wife come out to the garage and give a listen, she couldn't hear anything either. On my older lightbar I can hear the power supply whining.
    Anyhow, the light works good, turns out I do have one bad twist strobe (the one I happen to be using to test earlier..LOL)
    So now I'm in search of some amber endcaps with clear for the alley lights, some cable and a twist strobe.
    Anyone want to trade some endcaps? I have a complete set of red lenses for a 44" bar too if anyone needs them, I'll go to the classifieds now.
    THANKS Thumbs Up