1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tweaking T-Bars & Alignment?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hillndale, Sep 20, 2006.

1. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Hey thanks for all the great info people!!!! I'm a LawnSite guy, but I'm gonna plow this winter (1st season) and I've got to upgrade my '04 Chevy 1/2 ton (6 cyl) 4x4. I'm gettin' a lotta guff from the Ford boys 'round here that plow. So I tried out a Ford 250SD (think I hurt my back LOL), definitely felt firm, & priced a little too firm as well. But it does sit up nice and no adjustments for carrying a plow.

Back to Chevy I think :dizzy: ---- Anyway, regarding the advice to crank up the T-bars when mounting a plow (8' Boss straight, I want). Out of 3 plow dealers one said it made the truck drive terrible, one said you have to have an alignment after the t bar adjust, and another guy said he had no problem.

So I'm asking you what you have experienced regarding ride/steering quality and any significant tire wear, after adjustment. This is on a 2500HD. Oh an BTW, all 3 plow dealers plow with Chevy's. I guess that says something right there.

Thanks alot

hillndale

2. Jgrub75

Jgrub75 Member

It will ride a little stiff in the front end compared to the way it was original. As for an alignment, you should have that done after an adjustment of the tbars. That way there will be no uneven tire wear. I hope this helped.

3. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Test drove a 2500HD tonight and it was pretty sweet. Crappy gas mileage? What do you all get? The Ford 250SD is supposed to get low to mid teens per gal. I don't know. At the Chevy dealer they had a 2500HD with a Fisher plow on it. I had the Sales manager raise the blade on the plow and WOW! the truck squatted right down.

What's up with that??? I'm gonna try the same test on a Ford & see what it does. Wish someone could tell me if the Chevy is better for plowing or just different? My Chevy dealer would definately cut me a good deal.

Hillndale :dizzy: :help:

4. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

Hey the only reason that the chevy squatted down in the front is because they do not have a coil over front suspension. Or like fords:realmad: a leaf spring front suspension. If you are looking at the chevy buy it. 2500 hd w/ plow awesome deal. Crank the front end up have an alignment done and then buy a set of timberns. The timberns are about 170 bucks cheap but well worth it. It will look like you have a coil over on the front end but you really don't. Hope this helps.

5. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Thank you both very much for your response. I'm gonna get the Chevy and be done with it. I'm used to Chevy, familiar with the sales & service people, and I know I would most likely regret it if I bought a Ford. So thanks for keeping me on track. At the dealer I got all excited about a LT Package. Had a lot of nice geegaws, but realize I gotta come back to reality as it would be for my Lawn business & Plowing. A "work" truck. The LT package is too deluxe for my line of work, buit I sure do like it. Save the money for the Boss plow I want.

thanks again
    Hillndale

6. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

I shopped a long time this past winter for a new truck. It was between the ford and the chevy. I drove the ford and it was a dog with the 5.4 and a manual tranny. I drove the chevy 6.0 and a manual, it was like a rocket. I bought the chevy and have not looked back. I have an 8 ft myers commercial on it. I have not cranked the T bars and it rides great. My mileage is 10-11 pulling 18 ft enclosed trailer, and 15-16 on highway empty. As long as you keep it below 70!!! I pulled a small backhoe yesterday totalling about 11K, and no problem. You will not be dissappionted. The mileage on the Ford's are terrible from what I have heard.

Good luck.

7. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Thanks--- I'm psyched about the Chevy!!!! Thanks for your feedback on your experience. Big Help!

hillndale

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You getting the gas or the diesel? I have an 03 Duramax that is just incredible, and I absolutely love it. I've driven more Powerstrokes than you can count on two hands and they just don't compare to the smooth, quiet, seemless operation of the Duramax. GM all the way.

9. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I'm going gas, unfortunately. I've heard great things about the Duramax. I gotta get into a 3/4 ton as reasonable as possible, and pay unreasonably as I drive down the road. Stinks!!

hillndale

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. Chevys are nice trucks.

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I don't know how much my truck will sag with my 8' Meyer on it. I still need to mount the under carriage. I was looking at the T- bars and wondering if I could crank them up a little if needed.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006