1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tver wonder what's inside a strobe supply?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by leigh, Jan 26, 2014.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Mystery uncovered.Wish I could repair it though!

blower strobe inars truck 002.jpg

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Looks like our pro series or nova superpak. Just be careful you can get quite a jolt from them.

3. leigh

from CT

I noticed the warning! After getting juiced by my shop furnace electrodes I figured this is kids stuff!Got a question? Its a nova, will one of the ones you sell be a direct plug in replacement? The x pac 604?This is a 7 yr old, thanx

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Yeah, they aren't kidding when they say to wait x amount of time before touching the wires after shutting it off. They give off quite the bite! :mechanic:

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The first rule of electricity states:

"Everything electrical runs on smoke. If you let the smoke out, it won't work anymore."

With that in mind, I think you'll see that there are several components large enough to hold significant amounts of smoke on your circuit board. The prime suspect in my mind would be that large, blue capacitor. (That's also the component that will kick your butt.) And, since your unit is 7 years old, leaks have no doubt occurred and that's why your light no longer goes blinky-blinky.

Although refilling components with smoke is theoretically possible, I'd recommend buying a complete new circuit board from SnM or sending your board to them to have their professionals refill it. (It's a very dangerous process requiring highly specialized equipment and training.)

Hope that helps.

6. leigh

from CT

Thanks I ordered a new unit from strobes an more.No use fooling around!