1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

turns of the T bars?? 40 to many??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by andrewlawnrangr, Sep 13, 2007.

1. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

my neighbor got a 2007 or 8 chevy 2500hd diesel with an allision.. he went to his mechanic and got the t bars turned 40 times... what is going to happen? ... he is goin to install a plow i think an 8 footer.???

thanks all
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't know you could do 40 turns, I always figured it was only a few cranks.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

40 turns?????!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive usually only heard of 5-8 cranks at best!!! Maybe he knows something I dont? Please elaborate on this a little if you could, maybe even take a few pics. Sounds like he is in for a serious front end meltdown!!!
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

even if thay are on the bottom and you start from there you will not get 40 full turns.

and try riding on full bump stop all day it sucks big time. its a bad idea.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is he sure that the mechanic said 40 and not 4?
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The tb's are exactly the same as the old style and I havn't counted the threads but I would say 12-15 at max.
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Even if he changes the torsion keys I still don't think it is close to do anywhere near 40.
  8. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Maybe by 40 turns he means 40 ratchets?? Which would be, what?, 6, 7 turns? A turn to me is a full rotation on the head of the bolt, right?
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

40 turns would be 10 inches of lift in the front...so unless his truck looks like a motorboat at full throttle he didn't get his bars cranked 40 turns.

For an 8' plow on the front of a duramax/allison 250HD he should have to do exactyl nothing to the torsion bars,..but about 4-6 full turns of the bolts will level out the ride height.
  10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You've totally tightened the T-Bar bolts well before you've reached 40 turns. That is hilarious.
  11. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

it wasnt me who did it........ i was talking to him again and he said the mechanic said he could have went 20 more times... im thinking hes and idiot as well as the mech. the front of the truck is actually higher than the back. oh well not my truck ...