1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turning your plow off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by haligan125, Dec 27, 2003.

1. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

With the plow up plow down question I have another one? DOes turing your plow off while in transit save on the alternater and battery? I have a Fischer MM2 and i was told that it helps. Just curious and I alraedy have enough stuff puttng a strain on it.

2. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

i wired power for the slick stick on mine via a toggle, and when traveling i shut off the power to it.
    never had a problem yet..:)

3. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

My Western will turn itself off after a few minutes of non-use. However, in transit I keep it ON so in case I have to move the plow during an evasive maneuver. There have been a few close calls where the on coming drive or someone trying to cut me off from the right got real close.
    [​IMG]

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have the Old Myer's two switch system. I can't turn it off when the ignitions on.
    But being able to drop or raise the plow at a moments notice has saved me a few times. I have back anti-lock brakes that will cause the back-end to try to pass the front-end on ice. Dragging that plow slows you right down. When in four wheel drive the anti-lock brakes are disabled.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My Boss joystick has an on/off switch on the base. It's allways off when in transit except on the job site.

6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

It is only a small amount of power being used when on but not operating. I doubt you would notice a difference.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Your kidding me, you keep the thing on, I don't mean to sound bad but my boss control has on/off switch as well. It's the hand held touch pad, what if I'm driving 30-40 mph and the pad falls dropping the plow, now what. I'm assuming you have perminate mounted control device. If you have to move your plow in an attempt to maneuver around somebody your in trouble from the get go.

8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Eyesell

I do the same thing, can I get the cool little jaw dropping dude too?:nod:

9. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I know with the Western's they will turn off after a set period of non use.

I usually like to have mine on (cab command) just in case I need to move it fast for some reason.

Then again, I only have the plow on the truck when actually plowing.

10. GPB

GPB Member

I leave mine on most of the time also. I have the hand held control but it came with a bracket to mount on your dash board so theres no chance im going to accidentially drop the plow. I just like to be able to move it quickly if i need to.

11. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I leave the power on to my plow. I find it useful to be able to change the angle of the plow esp. when making a 90 degree turn onto a street. As far as dropping the plow, unlikely to happen with a fishstick.

12. capital

capital Senior Member

We run all of our plows in the off switch position when going from job site to job site after seeing another contractor whos wing deployed on a busy street and sliced open a car. His driver had drapped it over the steering column and was on the radio when it dropped and hit the floor deploying the wing into the side of a camero.............On another note.................we also now remove the controller from the cabs of our trucks at nite.......two years back someone broke into the shop area and tried to steal two plow trucks..............the blades were down and he did not know about the dummy switch on the plow for turning them on and off..................so now we remove the controller for added protection.

13. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

UUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM [​IMG] NO

First let me say I don't drive around with my plow on unless it's snowing or I'm going home when all is done. The plow comes right off when I am finished.

I have the Western...um...um...joy stick for a lack of better terms. Even when I had a Meyer touch pad this FACT was the same. I have my controller mounted in such a way that just the right slack lets it sit on my leg. This IS WHERE IT SAYS (unless its in my hand during plowing operations) I am sure it is going to be hard to believe this but it STAYS PUT. It has NEVER, NEVER as so much as fallen on the floor 1 time not even during abrupt stops and I have had A few in my day;O)

OK, so around here in the Metro Washington D.C. area there is no such a thing as a good, reasonable responsible driver. They are FREAKING NUTS. On a good sunny 75% summer day they make the "HERE'S JOHNNY" scene from the shining look like mother goose. Now add some precipitation and that "Shining" factor increased 50 fold. Add some snow and that "Shining" factor increased 1000 fold. Heck I have seen BMW's Mercedes Benz's, and Jaguars trying to race each other with 3" of snow on the interstate.

So, in the past 24 years I have driven everything from motorcycles to tractor trailers and every 3 days... fire trucks. I can proudly say with almost 2,000,000 accident free logged miles (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have in my time had some close calls. WELL an invasive maneuver KEEPS YOU FROM GETTING INTO TROUBLE BEFORE "your in trouble from the get go"

I have a Western Pro Plus. My mold board is 31 1/2 " tall I need to run with it LOW so air can get in the radiator. It's 8 1/2 feet wide. If I angle it the inner corner drags on the ground. I need to keep it straight. Remember them FOOLS here in Metro D.C. area they don't look they just go.

POINT : I need to have my controller on at all times to be able to move it to keep from getting into trouble.

108_0822small.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  14. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I have a hand held control for my western that is off as long as I am not using it. I have had to move it a couple of times while driving but it's not that big of a deal to hit the power button and then move the plow. I find that when I go from job to job I leave the control on my leg. I would hate to think if I left the power on and the control fell on the floor of the truck and the blade lowered. I doubt that would be good for the plow or the truck.