1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turning the pump up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PabstBlueRibbon, Oct 20, 2011.

1. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

I had over heard that there is an adjusting screw on the uni-mount pump that will allow you to tweek the pressure a little bit. I would like my plow to respond faster as it seams really slow. Has anyone done this to their plows?
  2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I dont know about making it more responsive but you can slow the drop speed with the screw on the pump.
  3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If its really slow you have issues. Weak motor,clogged screen,weak pump or dirty valves.
  4. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

My thoughts also.:salute:
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

It is possible that your pressure relief valve is set too low but more likely that your pump is just worn out. The pressure relief valve is located on either the top or side of the pump, depending on the age of the unit. You have to pull the motor to get at it. You really should get a pressure gauge if you are going to adjust it. On all Westerns there is "quill" valve which allows you to adjust your drop speed. On your system it restricts both up an down so you could try backing it out a bit if it is slow both up and down but this has no effect on angleing. Still, I agree with the other guys, sounds like you unit needs some love and attention. Just blindly cranking up the pressure may cause you more sorrow than happiness.
  6. PabstBlueRibbon

this is exactly what I am talking about. Its been serviced every year since I have had it so I know that its not worn out. is there anywhere on the western manuals that states what the valve should be set at?
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Not sure which model you have so here are the three listed: Standard Pro-Plow 1750 psi, Heavyweight 1900 psi and the Sport Utility is set at 1550 psi. I got this from the Isarmatic Mechanic's Guide here is a link: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf See page 46 for the pump pressure test. It also shows where the valve is on the two types of pumps. Even if the pump has been serviced every year there is no garuntee that the pump is not worn out. It only takes a grain of sand or a bit of dirt 1/4 the diamiter of a human hair to take out your pump. At least thats what they taught me on my heavy equipment mechanic's course. In any case, this is what I would check first if I was troubleshooting your plow. Have fun...
  8. PabstBlueRibbon

ok, I fiddled with it last year
  9. Blacksmith Cycl

Blacksmith Cycl Junior Member

How bout electrical? What is the condition of your battery, alternator, battrery cables to plow pump and their connections, how old is the main solenoid. Anything between the plow motor and the battery that reduces voltage to the pump will slow things down.
  10. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

How about the fluid. Is it cold when you are having troubles.
  11. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I had a pump last a whole 38 DAYS!! Replaced it, again, worked great. So, don't be surprised if it is the pump.