1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turning down a new account that i bid 3 months ago!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Feb 10, 2012.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Well it's been a depressing winter so far. I've posted that a few times here already lol. I bid on a decent sized chuch parking lot about 3 months ago and was kindof excited to get the bid but at the same time i was nervous if i could handle taking it on without adding another truck. Well they finally called me back it's feb 10th and they said that i won the bid. Well it's been 3 months now i thought that somebody else got it. I don't know why but i told the board member that i didn't want the job, that i decided i didn't want to take on the job and to let the current guy keep doing . (he does a good job on it anyway). I don't know whats wrong with me. My give a damn is busted this winter. I don't want anymore plow work im ready to start landscaping. Why do people wait that long to make a plowing bid descision when winter is almost over. They will probaly rebid for next winter anyway.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't get it. When people offer me work I generally take it unless the scope of work is not what I do. Why not take this lot if you won the bid? I'd have had them sign at least a two year contract. This winter has been disappointing for sure but you will surely make a good dollar on it next year if you bid it right. Hopefully you get a chance at it again.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I don't blame you. If they waited til the 2nd week of February obviously there's more to the story. I would have probably laughed and told them they could sign up for next season as long as it's by November 1st.

4. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

exactly i agree

5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

X2. I can only speak for myself, but my route is pretty tight. Once the big jobs are set, I fill in the gaps with driveways so I have no down time. I know I wouldn't want to throw a big job in the mix now. It could cause you to get way behind in a large storm, delaying your service to another customer...a customer that always signs in November. You wouldn't want to risk losing a good, timely customer to land a customer who leaves you hanging on through February. Smart move from where I sit.

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I am not going to question your decision, everybodies situation is different. Solo operater vs multi truck operator, ect. But I think when snow does come there may be many accounts calling for service. Many guys have to have income. Once you take a job for income, snow plowing is often not a reality. Same with many subs, no snow no work no income, hello Walmart stock'er!

With my luck our 1 st storm will be a 12" incher-then wait for the calls to come.

7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I love churches. I do three of them currently, and another one during big storms only. The ones I do don't hold daily functions so they can be done last when the mad rush is over with. They pay fairly quick. Why answer the phone, go do the estimate, get excited about it then turn it down? Give it a shot. I'm sure they're calling you now because they aren't happy with the current guy. I just landed a bowling alley/medical office yesterday. My mind told me no, but my wallet told me yes. Call them back. Sounds like you're regretting it. What do you have to lose? CHA CHING.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

If it took them this long to get back to you just on whether or not you won the bid. I mean i know it takes a while but three months seems a bit long to me. But I feel this would rub off on how long it would take them to pay you. Just my 2 cents

9. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

hey maybe. someone on their end dropped the ball, or the guy they got "has some sort of issues", whatever. Unless you don't think you can provide quality service in a timely manner, take everything you can . I believe opurtunities present themselves for a reason ,who knows maybe something else will shake out of this that you're not even contemplating. My 2cents

10. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

perhaps the current guy screwd up?

i know how ya feel man. iv been puttin out flyers. even put in two mowing bids already

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Its barely snowed at all this year and no one is thinking about it. probably something that got put on the back burner with them. I can agree with the OP. If you think your cutting it close as to if its going to be too much for you then it might be better off letting it go. the worst is getting in over your head, especially when a good dumping comes along. But maybe you could think about hiring a sub for it. do you have a buddy with a plow that you can trust? if you bid it right maybe thats the way to go. even if someone can go and open the place up for you while you take care of other things. like others have said, churches are usually pretty flexible with snow removal.

13. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

doesn't mean he didnt screw soemthing up on the last one. or screwed up billing or soemthign along thsoe lines. i was just speculating.

14. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Me personally I would have passed the big question would be why are they calling winter is practically over? You said it your self the guy does a good job. All my bids say the price is only good for so long usually 60 calender days then it is void unless I ok it. If I did want the account I would ave explained that my bid was pre season rate and it will cost you x amount more and then here what they had to say. In my experience 9 out of 10 times someone calling this late can only mean headakes. Are you a perishenor at the church ? I know almost all the churches around here have a perishenor doing it for free or a very reduced rate

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Churche's are funny (assume chuch is church) we had one, no salt here there and a lot BS.

Quoted another one last year, they wanted per visit which we usually don't do but since we do a property beside the church I quoted. same deal, called in January to get a bargain...I said not interested. Called again this december if I'm still interested in the work, said yes and he wants to meet. He calls on Boxing day, sundays weekends, etc. to meet with me......sorry sir Monday to Friday regular hours or make an apointment for the weekend don't just call and want to see me now. Next time I tell him to take a hike.....will be middle of winter.