1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turn the key and nothing, eventually starts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dfor, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

2006 GMC K-2500HD. Plowed during last weeks storm fro 16 hours straight. No problems at all. Next morning, go out to start it up, turn the key and nothing. Not even a click. Lights, fan, heater and plow all work fine.

Turn the key a few more times, and she starts right up. Plowed for a few hours without any problems. Same thing happens every morning. After 4-8 turns of the key, it will fire right up.

Is this just the typical GM thing, where the computer doesn't like anything but a perfect battery.

The only thing I noticed differently was that the dinging when the door is open is a lot quieter than normal.

Thanks for any help.
  2. DieselRam99

DieselRam99 Junior Member
    from Midwest

My 99 ram was doing the same thing, tried cleaning the battery contacts, starter contacts, nothing seemed to work. I bought the truck used and the guy before me put in aftermarket remote starter. I cut it out because it didn't let the diesel preheat long enough to start in the cold anyway. But what I found after that was a loose wire under the dash on the steering column. Don't know if you have a remote starter or not but it would be a good place to start if you did.
  3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

Definitely look for any traces of an aftermarket remote start; they will cause all kinds of ghost issues; especially if they used lots of scotchlocks. then check out your ignition assembly, they are known to go bad on GM trucks. mine did that once in a while (think it was the stupid remote start, cause once that was gone it didn't do it anymore).
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Your ''dinging'' comment nailed it to a bad connection somewhere.Check battery[ies] and starter connections .Also possibly your ground straps. Let us know.
  5. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

It can only be a few things---Try using your spare key to start to the truck to see if it solvs the problem. The VATS chip in your current key could be bad. If not got ot step 2

2. Remove the lower dash panel below your steering column and the metal cover plate which covers the colimn behind the lower dash panel. You will see a bulk head connector and to the top left there will be a 12 gauge yellow wire--probe this wire with a test lite--when the key is in the start position the lite will lite. If it does not you have an issue with the ignition switch not recognizing the VATS key. The switch will have to be replaced and the bcm reprogrammed by the dealer.

If the lite does lite and the starter does not engage then check the starter relay located in the fuse/distribution center on the left side of your engine compartment--fuse panel. If that checks out ok then go to your starter and hook the test lite to the ign terminal and turn the key to the crank position--if the lite lites but the starter does not engage--the starter is bad.

This all takes into account you have checked all the connections at the battery and distibution center on the left side of the engine compartment. Most likely it is the ignition switch--most common to go bad on the newer trucks.