1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

turn signals

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by turbo5560, Apr 1, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

not that this particially is a Ford question, but when i have my trailer hooked up to my ford f-350 the lights on the trailer will blink really fast and not too bright. Everything seems to work but that. Any ideas?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Aww... I was hoping this was a rant page about people not choosing to use the turn signals they all paid so much for in their vehicles! It's an incredible pet peeve of mine

3. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

ah if you look at the trailer lights, im not sure if you have led's or not but that is def a possibility they could be causing some issues

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

no not l.e.d., just regular bulbs

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Needs the flasher changed to a heavy duty style. Many trucks only come with a standard duty style flasher and will make the signals blink fast when additional load (extra lights) is added to the circuit.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Definitely the flasher. Pull the blue #224 flasher out of the convenience box under the dash on the drivers side and replace it with a #552 heavy duty flasher.

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The trailer recepticals could be dirty? try cleaning them. Make sure the prongs are always lubed.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's the blinker unit, replace it with the heavy duty on. The hazard blinker circuit may also have it's own unit which also needs replaced. The extra light bulbs lit will kill a regular duty unit.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It's the flasher as B&B said. I see it all the time. You can try to clean the male and female ends of the trailer and truck wiring just to be sure, but my money is on the flasher.

10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Just do what I did on my ranger. I just took out the hazards flasher and put it in the turn signal flashers and put the turn in the 4 ways and it fix the problem and was a cheap fix. You dont always use your 4 ways. So what if there slow when you use them. My f250 has no issues with the turn signals and it is the stock one.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They would be Fast not slow if you flipped them.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Tell the State Trooper what you did when he safety check's your truck. Spend the money and do it right. If it's a plow truck your lighting the plow lights too. So you now have 2 extra heavy draw bulbs lit.(with the trailer) Four with the hazard lights flashing.

13. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

So i'm replacing a relay or a fuse or what? Yeah... i am an idiot

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Get your owners manual and find the TURN SIGNAL FLASHER, it will most likely be blue, part #224. Replace it with a #552 HD flasher.

15. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

99& up superduty's use a flasher module not a reg flasher( it's electronic) it's usually a dealer item and it is burried in the dash.If you get a new one ask for one that does not have the bulb out warning and it willm even work with leds.