1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

turn signal problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 515CUSTOMS, Dec 28, 2009.

1. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

After blowing some fuses in my truck I lost dash lights, brake lights, and signals. The headlights and third brake light was the only thing left working. After replacing some fuses with the switch in off position the turn signals work, but if you turn the headlights on the signals quit working. The truck is a '96 Chevy 1500.

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Plow no plow ????? What else ??? More info....

3. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

If you have a trailer light connector check that there is no corrosion or damage that may cause a short.

4. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

It dose it with the plow on and the plow off. I looked at the trailer plug and it looks ok, its not packed with snow or corroded or the wires pinched that i can see.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your 100% POSITIVE that the trailer plug is ok then check the circuit boards on the backside of the tail lamps. When they get old they have a tendency to corrode and short across thus blowing fuses and losing lights.

6. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

I went out after work to look at things. The trailer harness just plugs in to the stock harness, so i pulled it out to see if it did anything. the turn signal now work. but i still don't have break lights. The parking lights,turn signal,reverse lights all work so there getting power. the third brake light still works so i think the switch is good. the fuse is still good. and I just put new circuit boards and light bulbs a few months ago.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Where the trailer plug is tied into the factory harness is there one of those aftermarket tee adapters? I've seen those things corrode inside and cause all kinds of issues like this. If you unsure, disconnect it and plug the two factory connectors back together.

Check the rear harness ground too. Should be on the driverside frame rail near the rear.

8. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

if you replaced the circuit boards with balkamp (napa) parts, you should definately check them again. balkamp product are about as low quality as electrical parts can get. if your turn signals work when the running lights are on, you should take a look at the brake switch on your brake pedal as well. there are two different circuits on those trucks for the third light and main brake lights.