1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turn Signal & 4-way broken - 2nd time in two years

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fivebarfiesta, Feb 4, 2011.

1. fivebarfiesta

fivebarfiesta Junior Member

I've got a 2005 F250 with a Boss straight blade and for the 2nd time in 2 years, my signals and 4-ways are blown. To get them working, I need to replace the Turn Signal Control Module under the dash.

However, I'm trying to figure out how to get this to stop happening every year.

Here is my scenario as to when it has happened:

4-ways running as I'm plowing a driveway
    I hit a piece of ice that trips the blade and then it forcefully recoils causing two things to happen: Bulbs on the light stand blow and the TCM blows.

Perhaps its the wiring harness with the 13 or so pins not being secure or wet for that matter. A short causes those things to blow? Would an in-line fuse prevent me having to replace this $17 part each time this happens?

BTW, when detaching plow and running truck on own system, still no turn signals or 4-ways (due to TCM being damaged).
  2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Diode isolate the lines at the point that the connection is made between the Boss harness and the truck. A diode is a one way gate, it is only going to allow current to flow in one direction. Here is a link to help you out. You may also want to switch to led bulbs if you can find them.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Quit plowing with the 4 ways on, and buy a light or mini bar for the roof of the truck. Problem solved.