1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turn Off Traction Control

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelettuceman, Feb 1, 2011.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

This applies to my truck but maybe yours also. I was told by the Ford dealer to turn off traction control while snow plowing. It is okay to drive with traction control on while transporting the plow.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

2. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

tc in some cases not only cuts power but it will also apply ABS braking. So sping the tires pushing into snow banks could be very hard on this system

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

traction control and abs are for people who don't know how to drive, which is great for over 80% of the population.

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I've finally gotten used to abs. I usually have trucks, currently 3/4 and ton trucks, luckily none with t/c. Tried a half ton with it, can't see any benefit at all. Scared the crap out of me when I went to take off and had about 1/4 power with traffic coming. Not a big fan, but not a lot of experience with it. Hopefully it is still not available on the larger pickups, not looking forward to it.

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I turn it off everytime I get in the truck. No use as far as Im concerned.

6. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

X2 I hate it. :realmad:

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am not a big fan of abs brakes myself. Traction control is ok

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Exactly.....my partner has a Chevy 1500 that the ABS is f-ed up on, so I told him to pull the ABS fuse. He has been crying for months cause he is afraid to drive it without abs, the brakes are 100%. He's affraid to put any real weight in it becasue "it won't stop". He ordered a new hub 3 months ago. Funny, I have not had time to fix it for him.....:laughing:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I have not had a fuse in my abs system in 3 years. I was told the wheel speed sensor is what is causing my problem because of the rust but I stop just fine without it so I am not worried.

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The traction control on most rigs is a design that applies the brakes to the spinning wheel. It is not a good idea to have it on when plowing. It will wear out your brakes in about 10,000 miles. One of my employees has a 2008 Jeep liberty and the rear brakes were worn out in less than 30,000 miles from winter driving. I have a car with it and in the owners manual it tells to turn it off if you get stuck because it wont let the car spin the tires.

11. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I crashed my Vette a couple years ago because I forgot to turn the TC off. I burped the throttle which was just enough for the car to do sideways (doesnt take much to put a blown Vette sideways), right as it was coming around it went into limp mode so I couldnt pedal out of it. Ended up going backwards up over a curb at about 40mph it was a little of this :realmad: and even more of this :eek:

I plowed with a 2009 GMC that had TC and it let you know when you forgot to turn off the TC, that and the back up approach beeper thingy. I dont understand how you could even plow with the TC.