1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turn it up!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mvhauler, Dec 19, 2010.

1. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

'01 F250, XL, tilt, cruise, air, AM/FM, 5.4, auto. Have had the truck a couple years. When the cruise is on and not engaged, and you step on the gas ( like an interstate on ramp), the radio volume goes up. It registers on the radio as if you did this with the volume knob. This has happened about 6 or 7 times. Once it happened while using the accelerate button on the cruise. Sometimes it gets very loud. No smoke/flames/gremlins. Just wondering if anybody has experienced this. I can certainly live with this, but it does make things interesting on occasion.
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Cant help you with your problem but I do know that if you press the "off" and "accel" buttons at the same time, the horn will honk :)
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

My 04 F-350 stereo will turn itself up from time to time. No rhyme or reason. I just figured the truck liked the song that was playing.
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I wouldn't think an XL would have it as a n option but my 07 fords volume gets louder the faster you drive. It is an option in the radio it self you can turn it off. Not sure when they came out with that option though. Sorry not a lot of help.
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

My 2004 F-350 with the 6.0 does this. I took it back to the dealer for another problem when it was new and they told me just not to hit the 2 buttons at the same time lol
  6. eludemann

eludemann Member

The 04 f 250 xl 5.4 I drive at work does that. The display on the radio shows the numbers going up. It sometimes goes down, too.
  7. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

My car has a speed setting on the radio that increases the volume when you speed up and down when you slow down. You can turn it off on that one.
  8. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

My 01 Lightning does that also. You can set the amount it changes by holding in the vol. and then you have to use a different button to change the setting.
  9. eludemann

eludemann Member

Mine doesn't have the speed controlled volume. It's a base model.
  10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

If you look in your Owner's Manual in the Sound System section you'll find that's an automatic speed compensated volume. It's actually adjustable through the setup menu from absolutely no change to pretty aggressive. Sound like yours is set towards the aggressive end of the scale.
  11. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

ill have to try this
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I drive many years of Ford Ambulances with all the radio options. Some of them have a mind of their own! They will change volume when ever you hit a bump or just sitting there. Most times the volume knob will not control what it does. The cheaper ones seem to be the worse ones for this. The display lighting has problems too. You hit the dash above it you can then read the display.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

theres a feature on the radio that will turn it up or down with speed to account for driving noises. you can usually turn it off and it should be in the audio section of the owners manual
  14. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I re-checked the owners manual. The only reference to volume is if you shut the truck off, the radio will come back on on a lower volume. Thanks for the input, guys, must be an older truck or the fact that it is an XL.