1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turn Down Work?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Cooter24, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Just wondering if any of you have ever turned down any work after you have received the winning bid. Not after you have accecpted the job but politely declining when they inform you that they've chosen your company.
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

yup, only twice though. Once because they took 2 months to get back to me, and the other was after I relized I took too many accounts on....all on the other side of the region.
  3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

That's the situation I am in. I haven't heard from these people for a while and then the other day they emailed me saying they will make a decision soon. Kinda late really. This is one that I am actually hoping we don't get.
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

and that's why you put a date on them.

"proposal must be accepted within 30 (or 45) days" (or by such and such a date)

sorry, stuff changes
  5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

Turned down work several times,, once because the added abunch of crap in their contract, the other ones that they waited too long....although one contract i agreed to help them out until they found another contractor and still are a back-up for all their properties
  6. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Turn down resi's all the time when they wait
  7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I just turned one down today, took over a route from an older gent who is getting out of the bus. Finding he was charging really low. One lady I talked to said she was paying $25 pp for a very large circular driveway, I told her how much it was worth and she said she would get back to me before X-mas. She called me back and told me I should keep the same rate since she was such a long time customer. I told her thanks for calling back and perhaps she should seek another contractor to service her.
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes, a bunch of times. they sign up too late, they change the specs, they dont want you to store things on site that creates a logistics issue. i heard they still owed the last guy

this is one of many reasons, to A put an expiration date

B, never send them a signed "contract" proposal

you can send them a bid, that says this doesnt represnt a contract, and sign it - "respectfully MR plow guy"

you can send them your contract that is not signed

but never send them a contract, and sign your name at the bottom...let them go first with the signing of the offical contract.

i hate turing the work own but you can take on tooo much and make yourself look bad, iif possible i would sub it
  9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Very True! I've come to realize that I have to put an expiration date on some of my bids. Especially the ones I've established payment arrangements with in the past. They'll wait till the snow flys before they contact me to say their first installment is in the mail. I put my foot down this year and sent out invoices with expiration dates, as well as full amounts. Screw um if I loose them; I'm not a damn bank.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010