1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

turkey wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by karl klein, Mar 18, 2002.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

does anyone use turkey or pro wings and do they like them? my problem is i have a 8' boss strait blade with curb gaurds but need a better way to clean up lots i don't really want to get rid of the gaurds but don't think i have a option.

any advice helps
  2. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

What style curb gaurds do you have? You may not have to remove them.

"Put the snow where you want it to go!"
  3. butter

butter Junior Member

i have wings on my plow, very similar to the turkey wings. my plow is an artic with a trip edge (canadian manufacture) . this was there first year producing the plow with the wings. i have always used a straight blade and after using the wings i will never go back. the clean up and the volume of snow u can move compared to a straight blade is unbeleivable. one lot i do used to take me 4-5 hours, now takes me 2-3 hours on a 3-4 inch snowfall. the only thiing u have to watch is if the snow is wet, then don't fill the pusher up, depends on truck power etc. i have the duramax and never had a problem with any amount of volume, a gasser might have to work harder and keep an eye on trans temps. personally i don't think u can go wrong with the wings, as they are a hell of alot cheaper than buying a v-plow.just my 2cents worth.
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

my curb gaurdsare like the ones in the plow parts warehouse catalog with the ends that stick out and bend around the blade
  5. CCLC

CCLC Member

We have pro wings on our westerns. They give the added capacity for smaller trucks that can be utilized on smaller snow. They give added engine/transmission wear on bigger snows on bigger lots. But an 8' pro plow turns into a nearly 10' plow and gives some scooping ability. They are well worth the money.
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have been wanting them for the purpose of cleaning up snow. do you guys think they work good for that?
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What do you mean? I think that is what a snow plow is for.
  8. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I think they work best when used with a snowplow. Not very effective when used alone. :D
  9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

HA HA HA.....
    i mean for cleaning up the litlr trails left over or clearing the main drags
  10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

YEP, that's what they do Best

like they say try it - you'll like it. I had wings on 1 of my old plows & liked them.

Trying to fab some for my BOSS now as I didn't want the BOSS-V because of the center hoof & hinge tearing problem ;) .
  11. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

One of the other advantages is that they allow you to take a "full bite" without getting any spill-off (or leaving "****** tracks" as we call them:D )
  12. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Once you use wings you wont want to take them off. They take very little tyme to get used to, being able to use the whole plow with no spill off is an amazing time saver. But watch out for abstacles, I have one that doesn't even look like a wing anymore and it also bent a large spot in the plow out. Also had one do $1800 in damage to a car @ 10mph so don't forget they're on there.
  13. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

The wings make a big difference. Try pushing this much snow without them. It'll never happen. We have compared piles of snow pushed with my 9' straight with wings vs a Boss 9'2" V plow in the scoop postion. My straight blade won.

14. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

how do blades with wings like maverick has trip or do they not? Always wnated to know that
  15. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

The TURK-KEY WINGS allow your blade to trip normal because they are able to float freely up and down, when your blade trips down the design of the channel allows the key to slide up keeping the wing level while letting your plow trip safely. They can be taken off or put on in seconds without the use any pins or tools. I hope this helps, as far as the question about curb gaurds these will not work with that style but if you really like to run them you could easily build a set that would slip into the wing channels that could be used when your application didn't require using the wings.

"Put the snow where you want it to go"
  16. butter

butter Junior Member

my wings do not float like the turkey wings. my cutting edge trips, which does not interfere with the wings at all. same basic idea as turkey wings. the wings work slick as hell. i've been plowing for 10years with a straight blade and will never go back. the cutting edge tripping is also easier on the truck when it does trip. this year was my first time with the wings and i never took them off once, u don't really need to angle the plow as much as normal(depends on curves and lot layout) . if u do end up getting some turkey wings i gaurantee u will love them and wonder why u didn't get them sooner.

ps if u end up getting the wings remember they stick out further, better yet put markers out at the front of the wings. i almost learnt the hard way my first time out, as i can't see the wings from in my truck.now i have markers out there.:)