1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turkey or Pro Wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LTAQH, Sep 16, 2003.

1. LTAQH

LTAQH Junior Member

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. I'm not a commercial plower, but I own a mini-storage facility and farm that keeps me pretty busy here in NE Michigan. I have a 1999 Ford F150 with 7.5 Western Poly and the handheld controller. One of the problems I've encountered is pushing snow between the buildings (too many passes) and after spending hours reading the hundreds of posts in the search engine I've decided to try the wings this winter to see if it can speed up my operation. My dilemma is that I can't decide which would be best for me, pro wings or turkey wings. They're completely different. I like the idea of a box plow that the Turkey wings provide, but when we get a big dump, I'm concerned that I may not have the power/weight necessary to push the high volume of snow that the box plow is capable of. Then again, I like their robustness over the pro wings without a lot of extra expense. If I go with the Turkey wings, and need to bust the initial hole through the middle, can I just quickly remove them for the first pass then pop them back on for clean up? I understand that wings on a Poly is iffy, but from the searches I've done, many of you here have had no problem with it. I'm the only one who'll be driving and I know where all of the obstacles are, so I'm hoping that the poly will be no problem. I'm in this for the long haul so I want to make the right decision first time. All opnions would be welcome.
  2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Look into the Power Scoops. The bolt on the plow shoe bracket and would probably be better since they are not directly connected to the mold board. Search for the thread it has been recently discussed.:waving:
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well if your storage facilty is like most of them I have seen,then you want Turkey wings,or anything that will make it into a box plow.These will have the least amount of spillage,and put the snow where you want it.They are easy to remove if you need to get them off.

If your concerned about the truck not pushing well with the box plow,then take smaller cuts.If you have to do a long narrow 100 ft pass,then your not going to be able to do it in one shot.Do the last 20 ft.Then back up,and take another 20 ft,and so on.You have to work backwards with a box plow in tight areas..
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

LT..........I too have a large tricky T shaped lot. I have to plow
    between 2 buildings. All my snow has to go from out
    front to the back field.
    I am in the same spot as you. I can see you
    crushing in those garage doors with a angle

I was tooooo cheap to buy a V plow. So for 200
    bucks I bought a set of Turkeys.
    Couldn't be happier with them. I have NO problem
    pushing a full load pass back to the field !

I just start with them off backdragging where
    necessary, then putting them on and pushing

I had a few problems with them jumping out of the
    channel. But a quick mod. and a set of linch pins
    solved my problem.

I like the way they "float" over bumps and slide up
    the channels when the plow trips !............geo
  5. LTAQH

LTAQH Junior Member

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm probably going to go with the Turk-Key wings. (did I get the right?) I think I've read all of the archives I could find through the search function and am pretty much sold on them for what I need. Like I said, I'm not commercial, but I do have a lot of between-the-buildings removal to do and it appears the Turks will be the best for the job. There's a lot of serious experience on this forum so if anybody thinks otherwise, please advise me. I'd appreciate anything pro or con.
    Now, considering the turkey wings, where can I get them? Who gives the best bang for the buck? My local plow supplier never heard of them.
    Thanks for any help.

Cedar Lake Saf-Stor
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

LT........Check out www.turkeywings.com
    You can see them in action !
    or call Rod direct 715-878-4523
    They are close by you in Wis. I think

Hey I see you have a poly plow.....
    Hmmmmmm i wonder if they will work on a poly ?
    Good luck....................geo
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

They should work OK with a poly.You may need to weld in a brace,or backing plate to strengthen the mounting area though.Not hard at all for an experienced welder.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not to knock either product, they ar both good ideas, but a good welder could probably make a set up for cheaper. I made a set that work kind of like a Blizzard plow (I have said I like the idea). These can be used to extend the width or hinge in to work as a capture blade. I just need to put edges on them. I was going to use steel but I think I will use urethane here to allow to get close to curbs. I will have to talk to Garagekeeper about that decision. Right now I have to get out, remove a pin, pivot them and reset the pin to change the wings. I am thinking about other options. I took some pictures the other day when we were builidng testing. I will try to find them and post them.

Overall they were easy to make with some sheet steel and various bits and pieces of stock and only took about 2 hours.
  9. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

After years of many of us trying, I certainly didn't have you on the list of people that would potentially break down CT!!?? :confused:

Did the passing of Isabel have the effect of weakening your resolve, or getting you sick??

I think I actually just read that you are considering using a urethane product in your operation...

:nod: Yep, I just rechecked & I DID read that.

Congratulations! :salute:

In all seriousness, they will be perfect for the application you are considering. Make sure to have them extended a few inches past, so that you are using the urethane to scrape the curbs & not your new creation. Use the thicker stuff so they are not folding back where not suported by your "wings". I originally tried 1" urethane on my wings & had to change them for the 1.5" thick and they work great now. Good luck!
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I actually used pieces on my 6.5 Fisher for curb guards last year. Set them outside and a bit higher then the steel. Worked like a squegee to get curbs clean. Still not sold on using them as an edge but for certain applications they have their place.
  11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

CT- I'd be very interested in seeing your home-made wings, as that is what i would like to try to fabricate myself. I had all but given up and gone with prowings, when I read your post and started thinking again. I'm going to try to draw something up in AutoCAD this weekend, maybe I can compare the designs if you find your pictures.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well I used some cardboard, markers and scissors. I guess I am more American Choppers the General Motors. Once I got the shapes right I cut them out of sheet steel. Of course depending on your blade they might be a bit different.