1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NBSnowGuy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

I was just driving by a hotel in my area and I saw about a 60hp 4x4 Deere tractor in the parking lot with turf tires and a 10' pusher. I had always assumed that you couldn't use turf tires in the snow but the contractor that owns it is one of the larger landscaping outfits in town so I suppose they must have an idea what they are doing.

If I could get away with turf tires all season it would save me a fair bit of money. Anyone else doing this?
  2. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Turf tires are the best tractor tire for snow.
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Are you sure they were turfs?
  4. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member

I use the very rounded turf tires on one of my machines and they are excellent in the snow. You wouldn't think by looking at them that they would be much good but it's amazing what they will go through.

5. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

Turf tires work best because the more rubber touching the ground the more traction you are going to get. With ags there is hardly any rubber touching the pavement.
  6. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

Got turf tires on our new compact, way better traction than we had with the industrial tires on the last compact, no problems climbing up steep driveways.