1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turf Damage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jschmitz93, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

So the contractor that I plow for just sent out a mass text about turf damage, and it got me thinking. It seems like it is not so easy to avoid. I do what I can but these late season and early season snows it seems like I tend to nick the edge of the turf, especially at the end of a driveway when you have two wheels on the drive and two on the street.

What I really like is the restaurant that I take care of planted shrubs all along the edge of the parking lot. I'm sure that they will want me to repair any of those that might be damaged as well.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else has my problems or are you all so good that you never scrape the turf at all?

:gunsfiring::eek:

2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Its in my contract that i'll repair all turf damage, not shrubs.... unless im completely in the wrong and pile snow all over them.... then shame on me. I stake my drives and lots HEAVILY. couple extra bucks up front saves me a lot of time in the spring. But yes, we all snag a little turf. just the cost of doing business.:drinkup:

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i fix anything i damage. we all tag turf. i usually have to fix a few spots every year. not on every account. i seem to do the most damage to my own lawn i guess it would probobly help if i used more than 4 plow sticks to mark my driveway but whatever.

4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

all of my accounts are residentails with gravel drives. I try hard not to dammage truf, and usually dont, but the issue is all the stones/dirt that get in the lawn areas where i stack snow. If I dammage a shrub ill replace, but all of my clients know its a extra charge for cleaning the egde of drives and areas where i stack snow. Although this yr it wont be a issue as i havnt droped the plow on a flake of snow yet...

5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I agree. If you are damaging the turf its your responsibility to repair it. We have a clause in there that states if for whatever reason we arent able to stake the site (late signing, doesnt want it, switching contractors and the old one removed his stakes) we are not liable for any turf damage associated with plowing or salting. If youre damaging shrubs then your not plowing right. Any knowledgable contractor wouldnt stack snow on plant materials. Again in our contract it states something of the similar, we will pile snow up and over curbs when possible onto grassy surfaces. Snow will not be plowed over curb in areas near landscape beds, it will be stacked in the closes stall working outwards throughout the season. its the cost of business and you just have to eat it. if you stake the property properly and know exactly where your going to go with the snow at the start of the season you shouldnt have any issues. We havent plowed much this year, but I know for a fact we dont have any turf damage thus far, but if we did come spring time the guys would take some soil, seed, and blanket and repair it no questions asked.

6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I don't have anything in my agreements, but I always do go back and fix ripped up grass no questions asked in spring. I thought last spring that I had pulled up a water shut off in a front yard and bent it at a 45 degree angle. I called the customer that day thinking "oh crap, I'm gonna have to pay someone to come fix this" and then he called back and said his brother actually came by a few days earlier with his tractor and blower to blow away the piles (it's in a cul-de-sac) and he bent it so I was off the hook!

7. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

It is in the contract with the company that I plow for that I will go out and fix the scalped areas, and the contractor will supply the top soil and seed. I am fine with that. Not sure that I needed to be reminded of it via text message. I read the contract.

The shrubs get me though. They are planted every 5 feet all the way around the parking lot. I got there the when I was pre driving my route and I couldnt understand it. The only spot to put the snow is a dead end driveway into a vacant lot. Of course this means pushing most of the snow 3 or 4 different times. Thanks to all the lovely islands. Just poor thinking by whoever put them there.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one taking some turf though.