1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turbo vs Supercharge? what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 29, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

I own a 1998 Chevy suburban 3/4 ton with a 7 1/2 Meyers plow. The engine has 80,000 miles on it and will come off a 6yr/100,000 mile warranty from Chevy this fall, I never installed a turbo/supercharger due to it voiding the warranty. I always wanted to install a turbo or a supercharger. I want more power from the 5.7liter V8 engine 285hp stock.

I have been searching the old threads in Chevy discussion and was unable to have my question answered. If someone know of a forum about Chevy trucks similar to the plow-site.com forum regarding turbo or supercharging, please let me know.

Also has any one installed a turbo or a supercharger on their plow truck? How do you like it? How does it effect the snow plowing? What brand did you have installed? Do you like it?:waving:

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I haven't added either to a vehicle, but know a little bit about them.

The turbo and supercharger are two different animals. The turbo works off the heat of exhaust gases to compress the air while the supercharger (or blower) is belt or gear driven. There are pluses and minuses to both.

The turbo doesn't use any horsepower to make boost, it works off the spent exhaust gases. This is about the only positive thing about it. The compressed air that comes out is hot and needs an intercooler to prevent detonation. There's also a lag time between stepping on the throttle until the impeller spins fast enough to make boost. This is being minimized with modern variable impeller designs, but it still exists. Turbos generally work better at higher rpms.

The supercharger is belt driven so it soaks up a bit of horsepower in making boost. The pluses are that the boost is more constant throughout the rpm range, comes on at lower rpms and the compressed air is cooler than that of the turbo. I think this is a better option for a gas engine.

I've seen a Suburban with a supercharger kit installed along with a stainless exhaust, it was scary!!! What a monster, hold on to your hat!

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I will back up what Pelican said, however I'd bea weary of trying to get big horsepower out of a 100k motor. From my experience and that of what my dad and uncle have told me, its always better to start witha clean slate, or at least a low mileage slate, if money allows....

On a side note, you will be very impressed with the gains associated with either form of forced induction... I prefer a roots style blower myself.

-John

4. ToyotaPower

I purchased my sururban new 5 years ago and have been using Mobile 1 oil since 30,000 miles in it. Does anyone know of a website regarding turbo's or superchargers for surburban's. :confused:

5. dsrour

dsrour Junior Member

I have a Whipple Supercharger on my 98 Sub 7.4. Runs like a raped ape. No problem plowing this year 2+feet, chains all wheels. Factory looking install.

6. ToyotaPower

Chains on tire?

dsrour, Why the chains on the tires? Is there too much horsepower going to the tires of the truck when it is in 4x4? Or are you just playing it safe. I had new tires install before the winter came. Never had a problem getting stuck in the snow.:waving:

7. dsrour

dsrour Junior Member

found I was getting stuck in deeper snow. Don't have snow tires.

8. TRUP

TRUP Member

I had a Vortech supercharger installed on 97 F250 W/7,5L. I had to burn high-octane fuel, and the miliage went from bad to worse. The computer chip had to be reburned three times. Lots of torque, and a few more horses came with the blower. Would I do it again; probably not. :(

9. ToyotaPower

Banks powerpack?

Does anyone use the banks supercharge unit in there vehicle?