1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turbo Noise?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EZSnow, Sep 20, 2003.

1. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

When I cold-start my truck (50 this morning) it starts fine, a little smoke- no big deal. But as it gets warm enough to quit smoking (2 min or so) it makes a very odd noise. It sounds as though the turbo is doing something funny. All I have to to is lift the RPMs to about 1500- enough to get the turbo to spin, and it goes away.

go get it serviced?

welcome to diesel?

BTW- in the time it took me to write this post, it quit on its own...
    Later, fellas
  2. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Did the noise go away after the engine warmed up? The 7.3 has a device that puts back pressure on the turbo to help on the engine warm up on colder days. This may be what you hearing.

However, if you have the 6.0, I don't know if this engine has the same device.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think the 6.0 still has it, I agree this is probably what you're hearing, it makes a hissing sound.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 6.0's turbo is very loud :D .Id check your oil level though,if its over fill your turbo is likely toasted.The 6.0's are eating turbo's like crazy,the fuel diluted oil is the reason.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

6. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

it's a 7.3, and it must be the back pressure device as satZ28 suggested, because it goes away as it warms up or rpms go above 1200-1500. Diesel stop is a good site, but I trust these guys with my truck far more. D-S is good for searching and surfing, but I haven't had much luck posting there.

Anyway, I kinda figured it was something that was supposed to happen, I just needed someone with a little PSD experience to confirm it.

Thanks guys!