1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turbo Lag?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cumminswithplow, Feb 5, 2005.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I did a search on this and I didnt find much. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to deal with turbo lag? Seems like when you are stacking snow. And you have to get on it a little right at the end. The turbo kicks in just about when you let off the throttle. I try not to abuse my stuff. So I dont ram real hard into the piles. When I get to the end of my run I use the truck to stack the snow. If you can follow what I mean. But, It seams like the tires always break loose right when you dont want them to. I don't need to power from the turbo. But I dont know how to stack without getting a little bit into the throttle. Thanks for your input.

2. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

Auto Or Stick ? Maybe Try A Lower Gear To Get More Rpms

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Normal plow speed and then coast into your pile.
    Just as you reach the pile give it some easy jentle pedal. Should carry you through to the top of pile. Takes a little practice but you'll get it.

4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I just coast into the pile a let the momentum of my truck do the work. I will not dog on my truck to stack snow. If the snow piles at a particular stop get to big I contact them and ask if they want the snow moved back with a loader, and let them know how much the loader charge will be.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You aren't spooling your turbo charger plowing snow in a parking lot. Trust me, not with that 12 cm2 exhaust housing on your Cummins 600.

What you feel is just the torque associated with diesels. Diesels kick butt down in the low rpm range.

Ford, Dodge and Chevy. They all do that. Bolts and redhenny got it right.

Take it easy. Oh, if you REALLY want to deal with turbocharger boost delay (turbo lag), install a supercharger. Supercharging is famous for it's instant off idle boost. No lag.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  6. cumminswithplow

I understand what you guys are saying. I dont push my truck hard when I am plowing. Another instance when I feel the turbo is when Im towing. It seems like it takes quite a while for the turbo to catch up. Its like hittin nitrous 100 feet from an itersection. Lets say you have to pull out into traffic. The power doesnt hit for a few seconds. Sometimes im almost across the intersection before I feel it. And by then Im letting off since Im through traffic. Dont get me wrong I love the power. But sometimes it feels like i dont need the extra boost, but i get it anyway.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

if you really want to get rid of the lag, through a dual turbo kit on....bully dog makes one for the cummins. you set them to different rpms and your are off. then throw in some propane injection, a new intake, exhaust, and remap the cpu and you have a rocket ship. im not sure if you will be able to plow with it, but it will put down about 1200 lbft to the road.

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Dual turbos, commonly refered to as twins, offer compounding boost and generally have MORE lag due to the fact you are pushing exhaust through TWO exhaust housings. Twice the restrictions as a single turbocharger, twice the LAG.

For instance, an HX-40 and an HT3B is a DOG on spool-up.

But once you hit 1200 rpm, it's like riding the shuttle!

Salopez, you could plow with that rig, it wouldn't produce all that power until you put the boots to it. And don't let anyone talk you into a new intake or a new exhaust when you purchase a set of twins. Your going to be putting that stuff on anyway. Twins on a Cummins goes for about 10 grand. You'll need head work and studs and a new clutch and some injectors, let's see, a new fuel delivery set up, giant exhaust, that second turbo is out of a semi tractor. It is friggin huge!
    But, yeah, you could plow with it.

9. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Turbo Lag

I think with a turbo you kind of have to deal with the lag. Just have to figure out where and when the turbo exactly spools up (rpms, etc.) and adjust driving style to match.

Jeff

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

a supercharger is not the answer IMO, twin turbos are not the answer IMO, coumpound turbos(different from twins this is one turbo feeding another turbo) is not the answer imo. Although you could set up a twin set up or switch turbos and reduce the lag greatly plus feed the need for speed :cool:

I dont know a whole lot about the newer cummins so I would talk to the guys a TDR or give Mark a call at www.hdiesel.com He is a great guy and caters to all brands.

First step is to learn to live with the turbo lag and learn to drive in such a way as its not such a PITA.

Things you can do to reduce lag without turbo work are......
    Exhaust. Not only will you reduce lag a bit but it sounds good :cool: Also will drop EGT's a bit witch is good. Duno if you have a cat or not and if you do how well a cummins reacts to a AWOL kitty but ditch it if possible. Peak power aint going to really change but your turbo should spool a bit easier.

Duno how restrictive a stock dodge intake is but improving its flow should help. may also increase turbo noise :cool: Some guys do the BHAF, some go with an aftermarket intake like a AFE, duramax guys like to hack on the factory air box. Things to remember about airfilters though. Quality paper filters the best and flows good. I saw 0 gain in ET at the track switching "high flow" cotton gauze airfilters for a stock paper. Weather a cotton gauze or a oiled foam filters well enough to do the job is debatable but paper dose stop the most dirt.

Also duno how the dodges wastegate is set up but different actuators or other widgets can help with reducing lag. Banks makes a unit for the duramax I know. You have to install a boost gauge though if you start monkeing with your wastgate or otherwise turning up boost. Dont need a gauge for exhaust or intake mods though.

A fueling box will also help.

I forgot what lag was a long time ago......lag is just the second the tires are chirping before they go up in smoke :cool:

11. cumminswithplow

Ratlover I like your definition of lag. I guess Im getting used to it. And I thank you for your suggestions. The truck has a 4 inch exhaust on it. I don't know about the cat. We actually got snow last night payup so shes out in the garage drip drying as we speak. And I dont feel like crawling under it. I thought about a less restictive air intake. Not sure where to go for one though. And I will look in to the wastegate. We had a heavy wet snow today and I only felt/heard the turbo once. So I guess most of it is just getting used to it after driving a gasser all my life. Sure was fun pushing those big piles while the ford guy took his little bites at a time. :)

12. ratlover

from IL

Mark at hucksdorph hdiesel.com sells aftermarket intakes

Might do a search on the TDR and see what those guys like too.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust then your free flowing there.

Its differnt from driving a gasser but once you get used to how its power is its great :cool:

Edit: when I was stock and fairly stock lag was fairly noticable. The programing I have now and my other stuff I dont really have much lag, she comes on boost fast

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would assume from the last comment it is simply the transition period from a gasser to being a diesel man. The lag from my Dodge is minimal- more of the issue is RPM- the Cummins peak is 1800 RPM- you have to apply some fairly serious pedal pressure to get that against a pile of snow and it's not really needed.

If turbo lag is a real issue I would definatly consult TDR or one of their referred Diesel shops. The Bully Dog dual turbo stuff is useless for plowing- personally I think all Bully Dog products are sketchy. there are plenty of better products in theory from companies that have been around a lot longer in the field.
    If you want to drop several grand get a Banks ultimate kit- 4inch full exhaust larger turbo housing (that's one of the biggest problems to real lag but the other pieces are pretty important for this to help and not hurt performance), new waste gate actuator, dual plenum intake manifold (big improvement there in EGT I am told) and fuel cam. If you want to check the lag install a boost gauge- they're cheap and easy to install- it'll tell you exactly how much lag you have and if what you percieve to be lag is really lag.

14. Peopleeater

Hucksdorph

I heard about Hucksdorph while working in Milwaukee. (Radio Ad) I then heard about them somewhere else, and I believe that was a favorable thing I heard. They are about an hour east of me. I gotta get a diesel to take advantage of them being close. Maybe the semi needs twins?

Jeff

*** Also make sure to have a pyrometer installed if not in already. They are easy to install also, and is one of the most important guages to have in a diesel.***

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  15. ratlover

from IL

Huckstorph started out working on big stuff and being an injector and pump shop with thier dad IIRC. I vistied their shop recently, they had a dodge in for a trany and 2 6.5s in for misc work and a peterbuilt also......they still have a scattering of turbos and pumps and injectors all over thier massive shop.

They started expanding into the perf market mostly becuase Mark is a gearhead at heart.

He is still trying to pick out a dyno........

Its in Franklin WI, there is talk of a GTG soon.

16. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

i have three cummins and don't have any problem with power but when you get to the the pile that you have started start raising the plow a little bit and it will follow the pile to the to help you stack the snow. be careful not to get your plow to the back side of the pile because then you are screwd.

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think your easiest bet is to run in a lower gear. Sounds like you may have an auto, so that makes running in a lower gear tougher. Could you run it in first gear? Maybe low range? Maybe slow way down before the pile and then gas it to downshift into a lower gear? Autos are tough.

18. cumminswithplow

I think the problem when pushing the snow was just mainly gettin used to this truck. And yes it is an automaitc which is new to me. The last truck I had was manual, however the last plow truck I had was auto. The thing about my truck that I don't like is the delay in power. When Im pulling a trailer is when I notice it most. But, the more I drive it the better I feel about it. Im looking into performance mods. Im kinda leaning towards the edge deal. But might go banks just for the fact that they say they are the only ones to moniter the transmission too.

19. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

I can't say I've noticed turbo lag on my Powerstroke when plowing. There's more than enough power to accomplish stacking with just the weight and momentum of the vehicle.

Stock intake on mine, but I did put a DPPI 4" cat back on it to open up the sound.

Not sure if an intake modification would help a Dodge or not. Never hurts to put some toys on it and experiment. :drinkup:

20. Peopleeater

Yep, Franklin, WI. I forget, but isn't it highway 100? I was kind of wondering if they did anything with semi trucks. I might just have to check them out this summer when I can finally start making some money again. Hoping for a dry spring.