1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

turbo go?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by f350dieselemt, Jan 2, 2005.

1. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

Hey how is everyone and i hope u all had a good new years....i have one question.. i have a 99' F-350 SD/PSD 7.3L and i was just wondering how you can tell if your turbo is "going" breaking/broken?? all answer will be greatly apreaciated.....

Alex Kaplan
    Kaplan Landscaping
  2. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

if it the same as a big rig witch it should be is a loss of power and very sluggish and a lot of smoke usually an abnormal color

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

If your turbo is broke or on the way out you will see blue smoke coming from the tailpipe, this is because oil is leaking and burning. I have owned a few turbo powered cars and that was the case. I think it would be the same for a diesel turbo. Also listen for spool up, if you can't hear it spool could be a problem. If you truck is that new it might not be the turbo but something else like wastegate if you having problems.
    my $0.02
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I would put a boost gauge on the truck. I have boost and pyrometer gauges on my 1994 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

One thing you can do is take off the air cleaner boot and look at the turbo wheel. It should be fairly clean in there without much dust. There will be a certain amount of oily slime on the pipe, but that should be from the valve cover breather (it is on mine anyway). The wheel should look completely intact without any wear on the fan blades, and it should spin freely and not clink or clunk or anything like that. Next best bet for info is visiting "www.thedieselstop.com" Go to forums and then your year truck. Lots of good info.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

i'm not sure how you tell when its starting to go but, you can't miss it when it does go, i don't think radar can see thru the cloud of smoke it leaves behind ya when it lets loose, blew a turbo out on a mountian in penn. ne extension of turn pike, stopped all the traffic to wait for the cloud to clear,
    5 gals. of oil straight up the exhaust stack before i could get off the side of the road, pyrometer is the best way to monitor turbo temp. :D
    thats what happens if the bearing goes, on a big rig.
  7. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I am not familiar with the Fords but see if you can see inside the pipe after the turbo but before the engine for an excessive amount of oil indicating oil leaking around the turbine shaft bearings. Since the '99s didn't have an aftercooler, I don't know if there is a pipe on the compressor side leading into the engine. What makes you think that the turbo might be ready to go? A tip to extend the life of a turbo is to let it let it warm up at least a little bit before driving but more important let it cool down and slow down before shutting the engine off and cutting its oil supply off.
  8. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

turbo problem

first thing i would ckeck is the rubber boot conectors on the intercooler tubes i had one come loose on my truck abour a year ago and i thought my turbo sh!t the bed turns out that the rubber boot came loose real easy fix took about five mins.hope this helps...........