1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

turbo diesel????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 94 f350 turbo diesel blows alot of smoke when u start it and rev it goes away after 10 mins white grey color smoke any ideas concerns? i also have a vavle cover gasket leak maybee that could be it? or have no exhuast from cab back? any thoughts thanks guys

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Are you loosing any fluids like antifreeze / oil? You get a high mile engine it will throw some smoke. You notice it more when it's cool and moist out. You get into the high 200k range it will have a trail behind it of smoke under hard acceleration.

3. Morrissey snow removal

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

40k on my duramax and it will blow blue untill the combustion chambers warm up enough to burn all the fuel, this will last for about 2 minutes. After that if its cold out, say around 10degrees or less it may smoke a whitish, i suppose from moisture vaporized into the air, this will last untill the truck just gets up to temp slightly, and if its really really cold it will smoke that white all the time, again, i think its just from the cold temp and moisture.. Nothing wrong with my truck.

5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

White/ gray smoke on cold start up then goes away in 10 minutes or so could be unburned fuel, give it a smell and see if it smells like fuel. Sounds like normal for the mileage and age of engine. Since you said it is a 94 is it a PSD or an IDI turbo?

6. Morrissey snow removal

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Have u cked each glow plug?

8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

My IDI smokes fairly good on start up. Doesn't billow white smoke but it does smoke noticeably. I fired it up the other day in 20 degree weather, it takes me two COMPLETE cycles of the glow plugs but it will fire.

It will continue to smoke a little around 10 mins or so just like yours so I don't think there is a serious issue with yours. And your valve cover gasket leak have nothing to do with it.

9. Morrissey snow removal

thanks for the help