1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Turbo Charged V Box

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Vaughn Schultz, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

My Western V box was getting a little tired, the motor that is, so Bryan (MidwestBuildIt) came over to my shop and fixed that issue. He replaced my old 9 HP motor with a 19.5 motor. This V box is insane now, I can spread salt 40 feet in both directions. I understand that HP does not relate directly to RPMs but this V box really has some kick to now. He also replaced the half gallon fuel tank with a four or five gallon tank. The motor and tank is so big he had to modify the cover of the spreader. I'm sure we could have made it cleaner but I was rushing him, being cheap and working on limited supplies. I picked the motor up new for $400.00 . He even hooked up the electric choke, so if anyone needs a V Box up grade shoot him a PM. Let me know what you think!

20130206_142543.jpg

2. Vaughn Schultz

Fuel tank replaced

20130206_142555.jpg

3. Vaughn Schultz

Cover that looks like a hood scoop

20130206_142706.jpg

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought you meant it actually had a turbo...that would be awesome

5. Vaughn Schultz

Last one . . . .

20121219_124352.jpg

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

pretty cool its not under powered bye any means

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

what brand motor? Looks like a brigs from here.

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

yes. brigs. He forgot to mention how all this started. I had to put a new gearbox on that thing to. Thats not a fun job.

9. xgiovannix12

I find the brigs motors harder to start in the winter.... I use small Hondas for my winter equipment.

10. Vaughn Schultz

11. xgiovannix12

Im not sure if they all do. I know the vtecs do

12. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Big tease. Where's the videos?

13. Vaughn Schultz

I'm sure the Honda motors are preferred, I found this one at a local shop for 400 bucks new with the electric start. Although they did hit me up for 70 bucks on the muffler. I figured wost case if I get a few years out of the motor I can just buy a new one lol

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

So you will use more salt??

15. Vaughn Schultz

Not really, I can still adjust the gate, and the throttle if needed. But I should have no problems with the conveyor getting jammed and bogging the motor also I can spread salt considerably farther. So even if I have twice the salt coming out I'm making half the passes in half the time. To be honest the larger motor was not really needed but it has turned out be be very nice. Quite, smooth running and never feels like there is a load on it.

16. Vaughn Schultz

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sounds good. Looks like you're set on that for a while, one less thing to worry about.

18. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I thought he meant that as well.

19. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Nice shop, is that a harbor freight toolbox in the background of that picture? I just bought one, I think it might be identical to yours.