1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tuner Question for a 7.3 PSD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kevlars, Nov 30, 2011.

1. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I just bought a 2000 F250 with a 7.3 PSD in it. It only has 70K miles on it, and came with an Edge Evolution tuner. I was wondering if that is a decent tuner to use while plowing. It has a tow setting on it, along with a couple other settings that I wouldn't use while plowing. I don't think that it adjust the trans pressure, though. I would like to find something that will increase the trans pressure some.

Any help would be great, '
    Thanks,
    kevlars

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Turning the tune off, or running the towing tune should be fine for pushing snow. Just keep an eye on your tranny temp and EGT.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have been running Juice with Attitude for years on my 2002 f350. The new Attitude gives the option to adjust the tranny. One of these days I will upgrade, just don't feel like sending the Juice in to be flashed to work with the new attitude.

4. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 Junior Member

Edge products period are junk compared to custom tunes on a rotary knob. I've got tunes from Beans Diesel Performance and I promise they will outperform anything Edge ever makes.

5. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i will second the DP tuner.
    i plow in 80 economy

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

3rd...I run the new F6 from DPTuner. Pretty much on 80Econ all the time except when someone new gets in the truck...then a push of the button sends it to 120race and a quick "WTF????" reply from the passenger :)

8. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies! What are you guys running for a transmission? What upgrades to your trans?

Kevlars

9. tjctransport

stock trans, with 179,000 miles on it.
    every 30,000 miles i have the fluid and filter changed.

10. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Yea a dp f5 or a new f6

11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Stock trans. I got a quad pillar mount w/ trans temp, Pyro, boost, and the gauge style DP tuner switch. Gauges are a must if you're getting a tune.

12. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

That sounds like a sweet setup! Can DP adjust the trans pressure with a custom tune?

kevlars

13. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Yes they adjust the trans pressure independently for each settings. There are several tow settings available depending on your needs. Get on their website and give them a call. If you don't talk to someone you'll get a call back within a day. You tell them everything about your truck, what your driving style is, towing weight, etc...then they will recommend some basic programs and give you the option of some fun programs.
    Example; I have
    No start
    Stock
    High idle (whatever rpm you want)
    60hp Econo
    80hp Econo
    60hp Tow
    80hp Tow
    120hp Race

The F6 comes with a USB port and you can update your tunes via a USB jump drive. You can also try tunes for free for 10 key cycles before you buy.

14. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 Junior Member

A good forum for info on the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 is PowerStrokeArmy.com. Tons of technical and aftermarket info there.

15. big_stroker

big_stroker Senior Member

What he said.

You wont find many people there running Edge or DP

Most 7.3 guys run Gearhead or Beans tunes.

On a side note I have ran DP Tunes and would NEVER go back.

16. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Tons of forums out there for powerstroke info. Each one has a following that prefers a certain few tuners. A few years ago it was DP and Tony Wildman. Now Beans seems to be the flavor of the day. Regardless, I have never heard anyone say they would NEVER go back to a DP tune with the exception of maybe Tony Wildman himself (good luck getting a returned call BTW.) at the end of the day do your homework and you'll be happy with just about all custom tuners that are worth mentioning on a public forum.

17. big_stroker

Well I can't count on 2 hands how many people i have heard say they wouldnt go back to DP Tuner after running tunes from someone worth a damn.

Tony's Tunes aren't bad I have rode in a few trucks with them just wouldnt be my 1st pick.

I have personally ran DP, Swamps, David at DI and none of them beat my tunes from Matt at Gearhead but I have never ran Beans and dont plan to but I do hear good things about Johnathans tunes.

18. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Dp all the way, love mine. Tony wildman is good also.

19. tjctransport

powerstroke army is full of a bunch of know-it-all crybabies that treat newcomers like blathering idiots.

a much better forum, that treats all members with respect is www.ford-trucks.com.

20. big_stroker

Did you get your feelings hurt over there or something? :laughing:

In all honesty I kinda agree with you sometimes they are a little harsh on the newbies but I have been with that group when they left TDS and then PSN