1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tune up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JayMac, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JayMac

JayMac Member

Well it was time to tune up the ole truck and man was it needed. Something that I did that is not typical is I replaced the ignition control module and coil. People have told me for years that the module and/or coil is either good or it is bad. I just can't buy into that because I noticed a nice gain in power by doing it. That coil and module was 20 yrs old with 123k miles on them and they couldn't be at 100%. Now, I am not suggesting that they be replaced with every tune up. But they should be on a maintenance schedule.

Any other thoughts on this?
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I have seen the coils get weak enough to work when tested, but not be strong enough to make the vehicle run. Just usually do not replace them until they are bad.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I did that on my old 94 2500 I had. Except I put a Mallory high output coil on the truck, along with a better cap, rotor and wires. That sure as heck made a ton of difference. I would say 50-75k should be about the switch out point for these