1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tune up tips

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wyldman, Oct 23, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

We have started to see a big increase in tune up work in the shop as winter approaches.With a lot of guys doing fall maintenance to get ready for the upcoming snow season,here's a few tune up tips.

On most plow trucks with exposed plugs,it's better to change them every year,or they corrode,and you run the risk of one breaking off in the head.If your changing plugs every year,get regular copper plugs.Don't waste your money on fancy platinum stuff.Fresh plugs almost guarantee easy starting in the winter.

USE A PROPER SPARK PLUG SOCKET.They have a little rubber or foam piece inside to prevent cracking or breaking the plug insulator.

USE A PROPER SPARK PLUG GAPPING TOOL.You can damage the plugs by gapping them with the wrong tools.A gapper is cheap,buy a good one.It not like you'll never use it again.

Use anti-seize on your plug threads to prevent them from seizing.Use it on the threads only,and DO NOT get any on the insulator or it will cause misfires,as it's metallic,and conductive.We had one in the shop this week where the customer changed the plugs,and had anti-seize all over the insulators,causing multiple misfires.

Do not over tighten plugs.I'd rather have one come loose than have one seize or break off in the head.

Use dielectric grease on the spark plug boots.It will keep them clean and dry and prevent the spark energy from leaking out the boots.When you put the plug boot back on,take it on and off a few times to both distribute the grease,and prevent the buildup of air pressure under the boot.If they are sealed too tightly,the pressure builds up when hot,and they pop off.

Use the correct plug for your truck,as not all plugs work the same.Based on my experience,here is what I'd recommend,mostly the same as the mfg's do.

GM - AC Delco or Delphi
    Ford - Autolite or Motorcraft (Autolite makes Motorcraft)
    Chrysler - Champion
    Most imports - NGK

You should do the same thing with glow plugs on a diesel every once and a while too,and test them while your at it.In the Ford diesels,use only Motorcraft or Beru branded glow plugs,and always replace them all,not one or two.They will last much longer this way,and they won't break off and ruin the engine.

After you get the plugs in,spray the engine and wires down with water and see how it runs.If it starts to run poorly,or won't run at all,it's time to replace the dist cap\rotor\wires.This will simulate the damp conditions of a plowing in a storm,and prevent you from having problems.

Even if you don't do it yourself,make sure whoever is doing it for you follows these basic procedures.

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Good tips! :nod:

I just replaced the cap/rotor/plugs in the 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0L (no plow) yesterday! Anti-seize and dielectric grease is a must.

I would replace the fuel filter and check out the air filter too. Also change fluids if needed.

-John :cool: