1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tundra w/ Meyer V-LD

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by ggb6259, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Been lurking on the Toyota site here.. Likeing the Tundra more and more. Thinking about a 2011-2013 used. Believe it will easily handle the Meyer V-LD at 580lbs. . I could put a Meyer on my dodge as well.

If your going to bash Tundra's save it for a different thread. Nothing wrong with my dodge but like what i'm seeing here and in the area with a tundra. Read almost all of the threads so I have an idea just want the additional feedback.

I"m hearing Bilstien 5100 with a choice of lift kits, timbrens. 3" fron and 1" rear.

For tires I would get Coopers or the Duratracs.

Any preference in lift kits? Explain the why you choose what you did.

May consider a Titan as well but the upper cats on those things scares the daylights outta me.

Much appreciated...

gb

2. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I did all the 1/2 tonne research for you. I know lots of mechanics who unanimously say tundrta hands down is the best built 1/2 tonne out there Bigger / stonger suspensions. I'm a ford guy & after opening my mind, those aluminum cans look like such a small toy but not as bad as the cute little titan which is all gimmick and no truck. dodge 1500 has a front end that drags on the ground, I never even looked at a piece of chevy. There's a great guy on here helping me who's running a tundra with a Fisher HD which is meant more so for a 3/4 tonne. My point is, nowadays, most 1/2 tonnes are grocery getters and I wish Toyota would make a 3/4 tonne or a 1 tonne. Anyone who would rip into tundras, doesn't know trucks. But I think an F350 woulda been the way to go for me. I'll be getting one next.

3. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Any lift you get will do the job. I prefer the shock lift than a spacer, just because you get new shocks that are most likely better than stock. I had a rancho quick lift on my last tundra, it was alright, but I love my pro comp shocks, I think they are so much nicer than the bilsteins that came on the truck. I was gonna get the 5100s but just decided to try something different, so many people have the 5100, just thought I'd experiment a little. Old man emu has shocks and springs you can get that are a little more expensive. Either way, you'll be well off with the tundra, even with no lift.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you're only putting a V-LD on don't waste your money on Timbrens, you won't need them. Just go with the 5100's so your push plates aren't so close to the ground. If I was going to put a V plow on a Tundra I would go with a Boss or Snow Dogg they are a lot more rugged and the Tundra can handle them with out a problem.

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Good to know.. I can trade my MD75 in and get the Dogg which I am partial to (great plow for last 6 years) and not mess with selling the MD.

Now it's time to find a Tundra. Probably be after winter. Not many out there from what I'm seeing. That and I will have more cash to put down.

Thanks

gb

6. mercer_me

Since you've had good luck with the Snow Dogg you have now I'd definitely suggest getting another one. The Tundra with 5100's and Timbrens will handle a Snow Dogg 7.5' V with out an issue.

7. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

what size boss? and what material? I was researching and saw 7.6 and 8.2 V's made out of Steel and ones made out of plastic

8. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

tudra will have no issues with that 580 lb plow. my old curtis was 780 lbs roughly,my new boss 7.5 v is 750 i belive. i run 3 inch spacers and its no prob. i hung my buddies 9.2 boss v off the tundra last week,only squatted the front about an inch

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

An inch hey? Okay, right. Op, as someone stated above, I'd get the Snowdogg medium duty V. I am partial to Snowdogg, but I run a 9'-6", heavy V. With Snowdogg you'll get stainless which will look good forever, and a heavier gauge stainless than the other manufacturer's stainless.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  10. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

well it did! measurd from the center of the wheel th plow off,then center of wheel with plow on.i didnt move the truck,or plow with with it,just wanted to compare between my 7.5 v and the 9.2 v. it is the the older flat top style v.

11. mercer_me

I personally would go with the steel blade. I've never cared for poly. There was a guy that on a Toyota Tundra forum that was running an 8'2" Boss V and he didn't seem to have any issues with it. There are quite a few Tundras in my area with 7.5' Boss V plows and none of them have any issues.

12. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

good to hear. Plastic + (-20) = broken! is a formula I came up with
    prsport

13. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

It'll be another dogg for sure. I get the trade in on a my old MD75. I have two mounts for it as well. One for a dodge and one for Ranger/explorer/mountaineer.

For the price of a used Tundra 1012 or newer I probably will just go new.

14. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I did some research on that SnowDogg V. I gotta say it looks pretty sweet! how's the back drag on one of them? I watched a vid of a guy back dragging but he was just barly even touching the dirt driveway with it because he was too scared to ruin the driveway lol. I cant believe how light it is for a V!

15. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

My MD with a backdrag blade is still to light. The 700 lb V should be fine.

16. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

It seems that SnowDoggs are a bit out of reach. either I gotta drive up to MN, WI, or northern Ontario to buy a new one according to the Snowdogg website. am i wrong?
    http://snowdogg.com/where-to-buy/

17. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  18. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

20. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I wouldnt mind going out to Chicongo. Been over a year. I used to drive truck through there all the time. got a bud from Aurora, Ilussmileyflag. Didnt notice a v plow though :(:cry: