1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tundra to get Cummins V8

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by 2006Sierra1500, Feb 19, 2014.

1. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo DieselCummins 5.0L V8 Turbo
    We’re pleased to announce that Nissan will offer a newly-developed Cummins V8 turbo diesel in its next generation full-size pickup.

Now in the latter stages of development and testing, the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel engine has been optimized for the next generation Titan as a result of the partnership between Cummins and Nissan. Cummins also is developing a version of the engine for commercial vehicle customers.

http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5L-V8-turbo-diesel

there goes the neighborhood...

A cummins in any vehicle is a big plus.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Can't wait to see it. Does anyone know if its gonna be a dually wheel?

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm really looking forward to seeing these new Tundras with Cummins in them. Since it's only a 5.0 I'm assuming that it's just going to be put in a half ton. I don't believe that Toyota has any plans on making a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup.

5. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Why can a 5.0 with 550 tq and over 300 hp only go into a 1/2 ton ? The first diesel I bought was a 94 1 Ton cummins Dodge that had 420 tq and 160 hp .

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

That will be it for my Dodges, Nissan here I come

7. nixray

nixray Senior Member

is it goin in the Tundra (Toyota) or Titan (Nissan)? and both really need to produce a 3/4 + truck

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Because we're evolving into a society of excess and instant gratification.....

I had a '92 and '93 CTD Dodge and they were work horses and agree a 5.0L with those specs is ample for the majority of 3/4-1ton pick up owners.

9. 2006Sierra1500

Both.

As much as I love my American trucks, if I could get a second generation Tundra with a leveling kit and heavier rear springs with the 5.0 Cummins you'd see me at the Toyota dealer in Worcester trading in all 4 of my GM trucks. Plus, the factory dual exhaust on the Tundra TRDPro sounds so sick.

10. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

The Sterling 10-wheeler I drive at work has the CAT 6 cylinder turbo engine, I think it only produces about 450-500 hp and a crap load of torque, and that thing friggin hauls for being about 50,000lbs so this engine will make more than enough power for even a 1 ton

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The why?
    MPG and the EPA.

Mfg's need to have a few trucks than can put up better and better mpg numbers, and a small(er)diesel in a 1/2 ton fits the bill.
    Then they can build guzzlers too, it's a numbers game.

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

No, because they only make half-ton trucks, and I have yet to see a half-ton dually manufactured.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The 5.0 Cummins would be more than capable in a 1 ton but, to compete with Ford's 6.7, GM's 6.6, and Dodge's 6.7 Cummins they would need to build a bigger diesel if they made 3/4 ton trucks.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

in 2008, Toyota reentered the heavy-duty truck market with the 2008 Toyota Tundra "Diesel Dualie." This Tundra model featured a powerful 8.0-liter Hino turbodiesel engine that could produce 260 horsepower and 585 lb-ft of torque, and a heavy-duty 5-speed Eaton transmission.

This Toyota 1-ton truck sports dual rear wheels, dual front struts, brushed aluminum throughout and even a 24,000-pound fifth-wheel trailer hitch installed in the bed. By far, the Diesel Dualie was Toyota's most significant offering to the heavy duty truck market in years.

and i believe they made other 2500 and 3500 trucks under hindo and under another name.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Where are they? I have yet to see one on the road. They must have stopped production. Got a link or something to support this claim? I'd be interested in seeing it.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

There in Canada and Mexico and around the world.
    ask them why their not importing them into the usa.

17. trevier

trevier Senior Member

probably don't meet EPA standards,

18. 2006Sierra1500

F**k the EPA.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah what you said.......

epa.png

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If this is true -- Tundra with Cummins -- it is probably only temporary. I think I recall reading somewhere not long ago about a US government consultation with *american brand* car manufacturers, that specifically excluded foreign based manufacturers like Toyota and Nissan, despite their being more "made in america" than ford/chev/dodge, which resulted in them getting nailed as far as the environmental nonsense goes. With the deadline looming, its probably faster to buy engines that are already in compliance than to develop/redevelop in house engines.

Toyota, of course, has lots of diesel engines under their own roof that would fit the bill in every way EXCEPT for EPA compliance. And the odd thing about EPA compliance is that it isn't even all about the emissions, but rather that it complies with certain specifications as far as having this or that type of emissions systems built on to it. Adding those systems is not just a matter of bolting on extra pieces, but in building a new engine that integrates them, testing, adjustment, etc. -- basically, a big time consuming mess that ends in an engine that is no less polluting than the engines they already have, but complies with EPA specifications.

On top of that, they probably don't have the necessary engine manufacturing facilities available in North America to suddenly build a whole lot of diesel engines, which would mean IMPORTING all of their diesel engines. Currently all of their 6 and 8 cylinder truck engines destined for the north american market, are manufactured in a plant in Alabama. 4-cyl truck engines are imported. They need to keep down the imported content to comply with import restrictions.