1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tundra plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by D-VETCUTANDPLOW, Aug 4, 2015.

D-VETCUTANDPLOW Junior Member
    from 60002

Ok so, this is my first year in business and I am setting up my 2008 tundra crew max with a sno-way light commercial 26 series plow, 7.6", a boss TGS 600 spreader, and all of the suspension upgrades front and rear. I plan on plowing some small parking lots and a lot of driveways.

First let me start by asking,, please keep your egotistic comments about the truck to yourself, I need sound advice here. I know my truck and I know what it is capable of, I don't need the Ford and Chevy guys knocking Toyota, and I really don't need to hear from the 3/4 ton and 1 ton guys that your Can't plow with a 1/2 ton Tundra as I have already been bombarded by my neighbor , who, "used to plow for three years" and doesn't know any thing about the Tundra. I only listed the set up so people who read this would get a full picture of what I am doing and setting up.

All I want to know is, what Tires to put on my truck in the winter? Thanks in advance.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Any tire with a winter symbol (triangle around a snowflake) will work. I've had good luck with a number of different brands but price wise the Firestone Winterforce is tough to beat. Others are Dunlop dueller AT revo2 blizzak and Nokain.

Remember these are devoted winter tires and you need another set for the summer. Buying a set of inexpensive steel wheels to mount the winter rubber on is a good Idea and makes swap out easy.
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

A quick search like the one above will give you hours of advice about tires.

from 60002

Hankook RF10

Thanks everyone for all the info on tires. I am going to be mounting these tires on another set of wheels just for winter and plowing. I think I have decided to go with the Hankook RF10 in 275/70/18. wanted to go a little smaller than stock at 17 but I cannot as the calipers are so massive up front that they will hit, have to stay with 18. I did choose a little taller and little more narrow. I am putting these tires on a set of Vision Raptors. They were the only standard run of the mill 5 lug wheels I could find in the size i needed that wouldn't kill the bank. Anyone ever use them? The tires, don't care about the wheels....If so Thoughts?
  6. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

For your winter tires make sure you get LT rated tires instead of the standard P metric.
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Your Tundra will do just fine. I used to run a 7.5' Fisher SD on a Tundra and I could tell that the truck could handle a bigger plow so, I upgraded to an 8' HD Fisher. The Tundra handles it with out an issue.

I have ran Good Year Wrangler Dura Tracs and BF Goodrich All Terrains. They are both great tires but, I'd have to say I like the BFG's better. I have a Rock Warrior so, I have 17" wheels and I run 285/75R17's I want to get 305's next time but, I'm not sure they would work to good for plowing.

YPLLLC Senior Member

I have ran bfg rugged terrains and Pirelli scorpions. Both decent tires for winter. I have 2008 tundras and love plowing with them. I to get **** for it, but it's never been in the shop for a plowing related problem.

from 60002

Thank you for the advice and info. Love the pics and love my Tundra. i can't wait to push snow with it!
  10. Snocam

Snocam Junior Member

I also have a 2008 tundra, it's a great truck. Used to plow my road with an old cj-7. I am really looking forward to plowing with the tundra.