1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tundra or Titan

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by Bigb40319, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Bigb40319

Bigb40319 Member

Looking for another truck just for doing estimates and plowing i know it wont be anything like our 2500hds but let me know how it works for you guys

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why go with something else? For what your spending stay with Chevy or a nice Ford.

Buy a small car if it's going to be used for estimates.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I've had good luck with Nissans in the past. Almost always over loaded and still runs great but the body seems to be missing.:dizzy:

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you want something smaller, get something smaller. Canyon/Colorado, Trailblazer, etc. Isn't the Ridgeline a unibody?

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Ridgeline is a unibody. Therefore it is a car not a truck:D

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry, I don't compute........

7. Bigb40319

Bigb40319 Member

i was also looking at a chevy 1500 the biggest thing is no dealers around here have any trucks left and for the price of an extended cab u get the quad cab in the nissan or toyota just worried they wont be able to take a beating like our gms do

8. stillen

stillen Senior Member

if you're already worried about this new truck taking a beating stay away from the import trucks. They will run forever, but given any type of serious abuse you'll be seeing it in the bone yard way sooner than even a slightly used domestic....

If i had my choice to purchase a new titan with say a sno-way or a used domestic with a BOSS, i'd be in a domestic...... just me though........

As for finding a vehicle....... the Cash for clunkers program has dwindled some vehicles but even most of the half ton trucks didn't even qualify due to their lack of MPG offerings..,,, the 1/2 ton PU's should be available.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

how about a mihandra? they come out in jan. 30mpgs highway

10. truckie46

truckie46 Member

My 08 tundra d/c w/ 7.5' Fisher does the trick just fine. No it certainly isn't a 2500hd or an f-250, but it doesn't pretend to be! But the tundra certainly performs as advertised. It may not have the gvw or towing capacity but 10,400 towing capacity is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention that it has more hp than gm 6.0 and ford 6.8 v10. For tighter areas, residential accounts and segmented lots i prefer the tundra. A wide open mall parking lot? Use the big boys all day long. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

My boss has a toyota tundra and I must say I was impressed with it, it's not the best for big loads, but it has power, a comfy ride and good turning radius. I always hated those trucks until I was in his.

12. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

As all of my other posts have stated, my Titan with the steel 7.5' SnoWay is a very good and comfortable plow rig. Granted it doesn't move mountains like my F350, but it does very well and hasen't skipped abeat.

13. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

BUY AMERICAN aka GM, FORD & DODGE. ussmileyflag

14. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Buy American?? First of take a look at this without your beer goggles on. My truck is an 06 Titan, assembled in Canton, Mississippi by American factory workers. The truck uses Dana/Spicer (an American company) rears, driveshafts, and u-joints. A great number of other parts are sourced from the states as well. So my truck actually supports American families directly. Now lets look at the "Big 3", a majority are assembled either in Canada or Mexico, by Canadian and Mexicans, and use many parts sourced from many other countries. So in reality, it is very possible that the only Americans seeing any support from your truck are the "fat cats" sitting in Detroit who needed to be bailed out by the government because they don't know how to curtail wasteful practices.

I consider myself a VERY proud American and am very patriotic, so next time you want to try to rip on someones patriotism based on a product that they purchase, maybe you should get your facts straight first!!!

15. bulldog9

bulldog9 Junior Member

Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?

I try to avoid buying anything made by Union labor or child labor - the UAW covers me on both those bases.

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Eh? ............

17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Ditto.......Eh?

18. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I bought a 08 Tundra 5.7l last year for plowing and a daily driver for landscaping. For plowing, it has been great. I put a standard duty Boss 7'6"( Best plow for a 1/2 ton I've seen) and a Daniels back plow. The engine, brakes and transmission have more than enough power and the turning radius is a plowing luxury. We use our one ton pickups in the couple lots we have, but it helped out in a couple big storms and more than held it's own. I use it for towing a trailer that we use for picking up landscape material in the summer. It has towed around 10,000 lb just fine. Anything more than that we use a bigger truck. Like any 1/2 ton truck, it has it's limitations. But Toyota definitely built a workhorse of a 1/2 ton with this.

19. strawhead

strawhead Junior Member

Import drivers,

If the trucks you are driving are more "american" than the big 3, then why aren't they headquartered here in the united states?
    Why don't they employ union labor in this country?
    Did you know that some import companies actually change their vin numbers on the cars/trucks on the boat heading over here?

We need somebody in this country to stand up for our OWN products on a national level.

Maybe someday, we will be a proud nation again...

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe because union labor could be the death of this country? I mean, look at what it did for Detroit. And of course the NEA is great.....

BTW, I drive "American". Probably always will.