1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tundra or chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mainetruck, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mainetruck

mainetruck Junior Member
    from maine

Hi folks - I've read the posts and haven't found one that directly addresses my question.

I've got a new house in maine with aprox 1/2 mile road to plow to get to it. We live here all the time so will need to keep the road open. Just sold my duramax diesel so looking at picking up a used pickup truck and getting a new plow

I'm interested in either getting a 2004-06 Tundra double cab or a 2004-2007 chevy/gmc 1/2 ton extended cab.

Looking at the plowing abilities of these two trucks, will I be able to get the job done? We live on coast so not that much snow.

of the two trucks, those with real world experience, will one out perform the other?
    Besides our road and driveway I will NOT be doing any other plowing. I'm sure stepping up to a 3/4 ton would really do the job the best but I don't need one for everyday driving and this truck will be my everyday rig.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Silverado for ease of getting a plow installed.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

long lane

i think you would be better served by the half ton chevy or gmc ,as to the plow availability .only a 1/2 mile and not much snow but it will pile up as you push and the bigger plow and weight of the chevy/gmc might come in handy .plus the resale value on the plow .
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I think you should get the one who's headquaters are in Detroit at the renissance center.
  5. mainetruck

mainetruck Junior Member
    from maine

so is the weight the issue? The chevy/gmc will have more weight behind them to push the big banks back?
  6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

long lane

well i think it a weight and power issue as the snow bank builds up to were you dont loose traction and power in the push .the weight of snow will be building as you go .jmo :salute:
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

should be a simple answer.

Buy American vehicles.
  8. mainetruck

mainetruck Junior Member
    from maine

can we please keep this on topic and address the question of which truck will work best for my application.
    keep options of usa vs others out of this
  9. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

You should get a 3/4 ton gas engine......but if not Chevy half ton is better than the Tundra.
  10. MileHigh

hey your the one that made it chevy vs toyota....

shoulda been two american vehicles.

the AMERICAN vehicle always works best for your application as long as your application is in AMERICA.
  11. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

i had a silverado and i can say it works great. Has alot of power and you have alot more options on plow size for your application. Front end on the tundras are light weight and you will be limited to what plow sizes you can use.
    Everyone here has a valid point about length of your driveway in regards to the lenght and weight of the snow as it piles up. If you have a short (meaning a homestead Plow) plow on the tundra you will have to make more or frequent passes. If you have a tall (meaning a pro- plow or midweight) you can wait longer and make less pass. either way the number of passes with be determined by the rate of snow fall. But i would stick with the chevy just because the of options on what plow you can get and it will carry the weight of the plow better. Just my 2 cents
  12. ajslands

I hate foreign cars! Especially toyota and Honda!
    Get the chevy!
  13. MileHigh

there is nothing I despise more than the tundra in the automobile world.

i'll respect a rice-beater racer over one of those....but not really at all.

hell...get the FORD
  14. mainetruck

mainetruck Junior Member
    from maine

Mile high - While I appreciate your loyalty to the Ford, your comments have done nothing to address the merits of my questions. Keep it on topic and if you have an option on which truck will work better and why, share.

I’m looking to discuss the uses of these trucks in my application. Which would work the best moving snow. Can them move the snow on my ½ mile road, ect.

Several folks here have posted thoughtful answers to my questions, looking at the use of these trucks in my application, addressing the ease of finding a good plow, the weight behind a truck to push the banks.

To those that have given advice in comparing and contrasting, thanks.
  15. MileHigh

Here are the plain facts...

Either one of those trucks you mentioned will plow just fine...they'll both push great if you have the traction...the real question is what color are you going to pick out on the GM...

You are limited with your plow choice with the half ton trucks as there FGVWR are absolutely horrible.. and both of your choices have independent front suspension which sux.

You probably won't be plowing that much so I wouldn't even worry about stuff breaking and if it does...deal with it then.

I would go with around a 700# total weight plow for either one of the trucks..

I just can't see how you can think about going around in a toyota right now in our world....people just don't get it.
  16. ajslands

This is my own professional oppinion; ford makes the best plow trucks, and that is why the majority of snowplowers use them.

Toyota makes light duty trucks so you probably want something that'll last!
  17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If your looking at Tundras that are 2006 or older, don't bother. They don't make plows for them except very light duty plows like the Fisher Home Steader. But the 2007 and newer Tundras handle plows great. I have a 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the 4.6L engine. I have a 7.5' Fisher SD on it. It plows great.
  18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The older Tundras are not quite full size trucks...they're like 7/8 scale...a bit bigger than a Dakota, but not much.

I'd go the half ton route of your listed choices. Load up a thousand pounds of ballast in the back...you might want to consider buying a sander to do your driveway after you plow it, which would take care of the weight issue.

But in my opinion, you're opening yourself up to a world of hurt here. In my opinion, living in Maine with a half mile driveway, a half ton truck isn't going to cut it for you...it'll do the job, but its going to be really rough on that truck. I'd opt for a 3/4 or 1 ton yard truck and get yourself something decent to drive to work. You're talking about an awful lot of work for any truck here, especially as the season progresses and the snowbanks get higher and higher. Stuff is going to break while plowing, that is a fact...try to avoid doing that with your daily driver.

On the other subtopic here, while I applaud you guys saying buy American, the OP is looking at used vehicles, not new...doesn't really make a difference which brand he buys. If he gets a 5 year old Toyota, the sales revenue from that truck go to the used car dealer, not Toyota. I happen to think the American vehicle here is the better choice, but not because its an American vehicle...its because its the better tool for the job.
  19. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Mercer hit it right one the nose. The tundra was updated in the last couple years with a heavier gvwr and a little heavier front end. It will come down to a few things. First off, are you going to be looking for a new or used plow. If you will buying a new one, well then its almost a wash. The GM will handle a bigger plow, but not that big a deal for you. If your looking for a used plow, good luck finding one for that tundra. Next, take both trucks for a ride. This will be your every day truck for possibly the next ten years. You may find you like the driveability or ride much better in one of the trucks. There is nothing wrong with the tundra. It is a very reliable truck and will do your 1 driveway just fine. Now dont get me wrong guys, I am all about american trucks, I run GMCs, always have always will. Truth is, either will work. Just comes down to which truck you like better and what you are looking for for a plow. Just make sure you do get a fullsize plow or you will be very disappointed.
  20. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

stay away from double cabs also they are to long to plow with, you will get nothing but stuck... Look for an older chevy or ford with a plow alreay on and skip the tundra. I'd look for something in the 2-3k range and then plow and be happy.