1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tundra? F250? Ram 2500?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scott545, Dec 18, 2013.

1. scott545

scott545 Junior Member
    from vt

Trying to decide on a new 4x4. 2013-14 models.

Opinions solicited.

I discounted the Chevrolet standard cab because with the seat back (I'm 6'4") my head hits the B-pillar.

Reliability is the prime concern - I'm leaning Dodge after talking to a dude with a 5.7 in his: 70,000 miles, no issues.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Only 70k miles? Any vehicle can go 70k miles with no issues, so that shouldn't be that big of a deal maker.

What brand do you prefer? And are you really going to make up your mind based on a brand pi$$ing match thread? Why not just go shopping and test drive trucks until you find one that suits you?

That said.......Ford.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're not going Chevy, I'd say Ford f250
  4. scott545

scott545 Junior Member
    from vt

Well as far as a brand pissing match thread, this is supposedly a site where people beat the hell out of their trucks, so the ones that hold up best to that would seem to be the better truck.

Most people Ive talked to in Vermont like the Dodge or Tundras.

Test driving a new truck isn't useful.

Test driving a truck with 100K on it from plowing would seem to be a better indicator of durability.
  5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

The new 6.2 ford motor gas gotten some good reviews. They also seem to hold plows nicely
  6. Botchy5967

Botchy5967 Member

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton gets my vote. Really tired of weak axles, steering components, frame..etc.

F-250/350 6.2L or Ram 2500/3500 5.7 would suffice.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

They're all durable. How well you treat it and keeping up on PM's will make all the difference. After that, it's all about the deal if you're not brand loyal. I'm not too crazy about late model Dodge products anymore, but I'd drive one if the deal was right.
  8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I'm a little confused as to why a tundra is in the mix.

Do you need a 1/2 or 3/4?

I would also vote for the Ford.
  9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Are you going to be plowing with this new truck? If yes, I would get a f-250/350 then.
  10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Ford 250. I would not get a Dodge. I personally prefer GM but Fords are good plow trucks.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How much plowing are you planning on doing with it? If you are looking for a good daily driver to plow a few driveways with I would go with the Tundra. I'm sure the Tundra could handle commercial plowing but, it's not a 3/4 ton. My Dad and I both love his Tundra. It's rides great and it handles a plow very well.
  12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This! :nod:

A Tundra is a good truck, but shouldn't be in the same book, let alone sentence as the Ford or Dodge. Now, if ya want the best, most durable work truck made, go get the Ford and never look back.
  13. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Nobody really makes a "bad truck" anymore. If it was me I'd go with Ford out of those choices but, it's your money, so drive 'em all and buy what you like best.
  14. trevier

trevier Senior Member

here's my theory on this, I'm 6'4" also. I plow with a 2007 chevy 1500 extended cab classic model. I've been plowing since 95 so I have a little bit of experience on this subject. If I was to get a new truck it would be a 3/4 ton, they sit higher and the plow doesn't sit low. The last couple of storms I found my plow actually pushing snow up to my garage doors because the snow was deep and my plow was low. I have no problem pushing snow with it at all, plow with common sense and you'll be fine. Tough call between the dodge with it's new coil suspension on all 4 corners and it's new 6.4 liter, downfall terrible re-sale value down the line. The ford is tried and true with it's 6.2 liter, wonder when there going to re-style it and get a bigger engine, holds it's value better than the dodge. Not a fan of the new chev or gmc.
  15. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking for a plow truck don't buy a tundra. Either Ford, Dodge or Chevy.......that said Ford
  16. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I work with a guy who bought a brand new Dodge 2500. It has been in and out of the shop and they can't figure out what's wrong. He's looking into lemon law. He's joked about having a fire sale! I have driven many Dodges and always the same problems. Front ends don't hold up and transmissions can't hold up to real work. I have no complaints against Chevy other than their problem holding the weight of a heavy plow. Ford in my book is the way to go! Not to mention you spent billions on GM and Dodge so they should be buying us trucks!
  17. hiniker1988

hiniker1988 Junior Member

I would go with the new 2014 Dodge 2500 with the 6.4L. Wish I could upgrade right now and get one.
  18. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have a 2013 f350 with a 6.2 and for a gas truck I love it. Plenty of power and without a doubt the strongest stock transmission out of all the trucks. They all make good trucks but for a gas powered work truck ford get my vote. If you wanted a diesel it would be a harder choice but the transmission they put behind the 6.7 Cummins suck!... So again, ford.
  19. NThill93

NThill93 Member

Hasn't that been every Ram from the 2nd Gen :blush2::nod:xysport

Test drive them and see what you like best, Ive got a 5.7 ram with 160k miles no major issues
  20. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

It really isn't going to matter, all makes have their issues, and every maker is going to turn out a few that are just junk in each round of manufacturing. That being said, I personally have a 02 Ram 1500 4.7L with 256,000 miles and no major issues. Plowed with this truck for several years (before getting my 2500), and it has been through hell and back on the farm. Personally I'm a huge fan of Ram trucks, but I know people that have them that have had horrible issues with them. I think it comes back to maintenance and taking care of what you go. I don't go after chevy or gmc because although their resale value is much greater, any plow truck when it's the end of it's life, is not going to get great resale.