1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to weld new wing edges 860 speedwing, HELP Please

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Lasher66, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Hi,
    My wing edges are wore all the way down to the frame and my main edge is only wore down about 1/2 in. I seen on this forum that you can weld new pieces to the bottom of the wing edges to give it more life. Well I pinned back the wings so the blade was straight, then I welded new pieces to make the cutting edge straight all the way across. When I unpin the wings to go back into the scoop position, it brings the whole plow off the ground so its just resting on the wing tips. I dont see why it would do this if the main edge is only wore down 1/2in. My first set of cutting edges wore the main edge down 2 in before the wing edges were wore down. My next set I am going to double up or go carbide. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the plow is tipped way forward. Did you put on a lift or bigger tires since last year? Is the sander new for this year?

I presume there is some way to adjust the plow so it sits level.

3. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

No, but I do always have a pallet of salt in the back of truck when plowing. I dont know if that is making it wear faster or not.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Guess you could check the mount height to see if it's too high. Looked it up for you, the center of the pin hole on the mount is at 12.5"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Thanks. Is the pinhole the hole you put the pin through to mount the plow, or is this on the truck side mounting bracket? Would I have to shim down the hole mounting bracket if it is to high or is there another adjustment? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

The push beam on the truck is bolted on. If you look at it you will see that it has many sets of holes. You can take those bolts out and move the bracket up or down as needed to reach the correct push beam height.The A-Frame should sit level when everything is correct.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

The hole on the mount you put the pin in

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Jason,

I'm guessing your A frame is not level due to the weight of the salt in the back of your truck. This causes the premature wear to the wing edges. Unfortunately, the truckside mounts for the GMT 800's do not have any height adjustment, as Image was alluding to. So several options to get back to the 12.5 mounting height are: Smaller tires, air bags/upgrade suspension in the back of the truck to support the load of the salt, or run less weight.

9. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

one thing I have learned is that anytime you are making a cutting edge change you are better off changing all the cutting edges at once. The premature wearing is due to the angle of the plow, but if you weld on additional cutting edges to the front of your wings when you replace your cutting edges, you will see a drastic increase in how long your cutting edge will last.

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Really its not adjustable? Dam I thought it was and I have a blizzard on a 2005 2500hd. Im gonna have to go look tomorrow to confirm lol. I'm sure your right, sorry for steering the OP in the wrong direction.

11. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

ok, I measured the distance from the ground to the pinhole and its 13.5 in with a pallet of salt in the back. I will be salting tonight, so I can measure tomorrow and see what the difference is. I put a level on the "a frame" and it seemed to only be a little off. I had to raise it about a 1/2 in to make it level. I did notice when I got new tires a couple years ago, I did go with a slightly bigger tire. Went from 245 to 265. So with that all said, would this amount make that big of difference on the wear of the cutting edge. Would timbrens in the back help at all? Thanks

12. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

You could do what Ford does with a big block under the leafspring pack in the back to give the truck more rake front to back, the rear timbrens may help, but I think I'd go airbags in the back for this application.
    Tire size has some effect.
    The speedwings are more prone to wing wear than the power plows if you do a lot of straight ahead pushing, as one is probably not pinning them straight very often.

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

13.5" is pretty good, IMO. I think I'm sitting over 14". It makes a noticeable difference when they sit level. I'm going to try to drop my mount another inch or so.

14. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Well, I said screw it and ordered new cutting edges. I think I am either gonna get the carbide tips from Jerre or just weld on some old cutting edge to the new wings to make them double thickness. Sucks I have to replace the main cutting edge with only 1/2in wear on it. Oh well. Aslo, I think you were right fastjohny, I do have alot of lots that require pushing straight which probably causes this too. Thanks for the help. Let me know if you guys think doubling up on the new wing edges will help.

Jason

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What part of Toledo do you live. I graduated from Toledo University in 2005 and lived there for a couple of more years after graduation and worked down at Real Seafood on the docks.

16. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Carbide would be the best for wear, but it will still wear at different rates than the main edge, I'm guessing.

I'd go run the plow till it sets flat with the wings curled,(spark show!) then weld on carbides to your existing setup, but with the wings curled. Or torch off what you added, then weld on carbides, again with the wings curled to establish the correct position for the carbides with your setup.

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I would double up on the wings. I double up on the outside edges of all my plows, it makes a huge difference on the rate of wear

18. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I grew up in the south end of Toledo by Bowsher High School. I now live in Holland.

19. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

lasher66...why does your plow look like the power plow and not the speed wing......i have an 860 speed wing and it doesn't look like yours?????? just wondering.....i also am in the market for new wing edges....61 hours of plowing and there shot....

20. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

its an old picture. I have not updated it with my speedwing on it yet.