1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to steal guys...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I hired a guy who use to plow for a larger company for the past 2 seasons. His biggest complaint was no hours. I hire him on and I have tons of hours plus I'm paying him 3 bucks more per hr than this other company was going to AND we are offering bonuses. He calls me last night to tell me the "other" company is trying to sweet talk him into coming back, something about loyalty, he already knows the route, on and on. Now he says he's in a dilema and he doesnt know what to do. Let me see here--we gave him 3 bucks more per hour, he has at least 10 hrs of plowing and more if he wants it plus a bonus, to me its a no-brainer. I just think its pathetic to try and steal guys from another company.

2. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Tell him to go back to the other guy------you dont need him walking out on you in Feb because the other guy offered him a cigar....

Good help is hard to find...

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Call his bluff in such a way that he won't feel challenged. If he really was offered more by the first company - Do you really want to get into a bidding war with them?

I'd tell him something like: Well, yeah, you know everybody has to figure out what's best for themselves. Why don't you let me know tomorrow what you decided?

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I would tell him he better go back.......as stated to have him bail mid- season would suck.....

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It sucks for you but wern't you kind of stealing him from them, I know you promised him lots of hours and a bonus but alot of people promise things and don't deliver. I'm not saying you will do this but how does he know that. The other guy probably guilted him into coming back and matched your offer. It suck when you need somebody and then they bail at the last minute. I hope you find somebody else soon. Good Luck

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever you do, don't counter offer
    ever
    People leave for lots of reasons, money is rarely THE reason.
    Let him go.

7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I have the same thing with a employee telling me all the time he needs to borrow gas money so he can make it to work tommorow. I told him today no and if he cant make it tough ****. I would call is bluff dont get suckered like i have lately.
    Mike

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Ive had someone say that about gas before and I have been like, alright well after work I have to fill my truck up so you can follow me and I'll put $20 in, that way I get the reciept. LOL you find out quick they really need it for smokes or poker, or beer.

9. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Man, you're having a lot of manpower problems bro...

"let him go" unless you like torture where the employee acts like a diva...

Seriously, aren't there any temp services in your area??? Give that a try.

:nod:

10. Brian Young

I didnt try to steal him at all. We ran an ad in our local classified section of the paper, he called and applied, I hired him. I didnt "pursue" him at all. I heard throught the grape vine he went back to the other company, I just cant figure for the life of me why.

11. Brian Young

No kidding! As far as temp service goes, they would need their own truck and ins. And yeah it seems like there are quite a few guys thinking they run the show as employee's. See what happens when you try to do a good thing!:angry:

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm glad you didn't yell at me for saying that but your right you didn't steal him. Some guys just don't think, that's the problem. I have had guys lined up and as soon as it snow, I can't get a hold of them. WTF, they don't understand why I'm upset. I'm sure you'll find another, things generally always workout. Good Luck.