1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to pick right plow for '03 chev 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by camaro_guy13, Jan 25, 2010.

1. camaro_guy13

camaro_guy13 Junior Member

I am looking for some advice on choosing right plow for this truck. The western dealer says western, the blizzard dealer says blizzard and so on. Any input would be a great help. Truck already has salt dogg SHPE 1500 sander. thanks

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

There is a lot of info on here for your truck.Go to the chevy truck forum.They have all the info you need,Read up on dual battery's,torsion bars, ect.You can search and find hours of reading.As far as the plow goes find the dealer you like the best and go with them.It also depends what you plan to plow.There are a lot of good deals on used plows right now.If you can wait until spring you can save $. I hope this helps.We run Fishers

3. camaro_guy13

camaro_guy13 Junior Member

thanks for the advice

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'd look at the Fisher HTs for that truck

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

To be honest my meyer works great on my half ton but then again I dont live in canada

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

You have taken the words from my mouth.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dealer service and support is MORE important then brand
    "Search" function is your friend. Your question has been answered 100's of times

8. bossman1352

bossman1352 Junior Member

The dealer who is most helpful and knowledgeable is the winner. Every dealer is going to preach their own, but you have to look past the BS and see who really knows their stuff.

9. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

How do you like yours? I just suggested it because its designed for half tons and haaven't actually used one. I'm thinking of putting one on my 05 1500 next year to use as a backup or for a few driveways

10. A.K_Donaldson

A.K_Donaldson Junior Member

Western htp

I hear the western hts or half ton snow plow is supposed to be pretty good its a 7.5 I beleive. Not speaking from personal experience or anything but i would just go with the dealership you feel would be the best with parts and possibly repair if needed. I was gonna go with a western for my GMC 1500 before the thing rotted out.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  11. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Listen to Hydro ! He has the best advice, and dealer support is the most important thing about a plow !!!

12. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

dealer support is the most important. That being said, as with anything in life some products will require less attention/repairs than others. I have a fisher plow on my 03 chev and love it. It has not let me down even once. It's a minute mount II 7.5' plow. I've since built wings for it to make it 9'. The truck handles it like a champ with 3 cranks on the torsion bars, and timbrens in the front. To buy a new plow I don't think I would get anything less than 8' so I don't run over as much snow on corners though. But the wings have taken care of that and they are removable when i don't want them on.

13. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

Maybe snowdogg md