1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trying to I.D. underhood pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by topspd7, Feb 27, 2009.

1. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

A few months back i bought a 1987 Dodge p/u with a Meyer 71/2 ft plow. It has worked fine but the plow drops slowly on its own, I was still able to use it, I noticed a lot of fluid leaking out of the lifting piston, so i bought a new one. Now it seems to be dropping faster and I want to fix it but I cant seem to find any info on my pump, only on the newer Meyer pumps. Can anyone advise where i might find the info, i've been searching the web but no luck
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i really doubt the problem is the pump, did you bleed all the air out when you changed the ram?
  3. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

no i just tried going up and down and left to right ......thats why i'm trying to identify the pump unit so maybe i can search for a manual......It is definitely and old model besides the leak down problem it works fine i've used it for all of the storms so far...I want to know so i will be able to find replacement parts
  4. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

OK i'm guessing its a Diamond underhood mount pump, but the link on the Meyer website goes blank does anyone have info on these
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i am guessing ,that it is a early get together with meyer and dodge . they had a one or two year combination .every thing under the hood was only available from dodge ,every thing out front was from meyer . and soon after they dissolved the set up .you could no longer get any under hood part's from dodge .they had manually shifted valve's that would lose adjustment with age .and some of the valve's had aluminum end caps that would break .use to have to retro fit a different valve on them .
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the lift valve out and see if it shifts freely. if yes, see if you can shift the valve by hand. have someone run it and you watch the valve body to see if it shifts ALL the way. up and down.
  7. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

Thanks a bunch guys. I noticed today that there is a leak coming from under the pump on the street when I move the plow, there must be a bad seal or o-ring somewhere.......
  8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member