1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to get my plow running again after sitting over the summer

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kthunter33, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

I went to hook up my ultramount pro plus tonight. The plow has been sitting since last year. I changed the fluids and went to plug into my truck and the plow does nothing. The plow lights come on and when I press any buttons, the lights dim. I cleaned off the terminals on the battery and relay. Last year the motor made a slight noise but had no issues. Any ideas? Thank you
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would be using a test light to see if power is getting through the motor relay. On one of the big lugs there should be power all the time. On the other side there should be power only when you ask for up, left or right. If there is power on the output side but the motor doesn't spin then get someone to give the motor a couple smacks with a dead blow hammer (soft hammer filled with lead shot) while you holt the button for up. Sometimes the brushes just get sticky from sitting and they need "a wakeup call." Since your plow lights are coming on the truck is recongnizing it;s there. It has to be either a sticky relay or a sleepy motor. You should hear a click from that relay too. If you hear no click try jumping the two big lugs on the relay with a screw driver. Only do it for a moment just to see if the motor spins. If that fires up the motor but the controller doesn't then you need a new relay. If the relay is toast the test light will not come on at the output lug either. Hope that helps.
  3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

hit the connectors with a wire brush
  4. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

Thanks guys for the help!. I got it working. It was a "sleepy" motor.
  5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If the motor was jammed up and "just started" turning, it could be contaminated with dirt or corrosion. You should take it apart and clean and lube the bushings on it or it could stop on you mid winter. Especially when it gets cold.