1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to get an 04 Ultramount 4 port harness to work on an 02 Chevy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bob coco, Oct 29, 2011.

1. bob coco

bob coco Member

Hi Guys, The truck is a 2001 and not a 2002

I recently sold a friend my 04 Ultra mount setup and it all works except for low beams. I have now researched and found that the 03 and up Chevys use a different headlamp harness. The setup I have installed is a green 4 port with headlamp harness 27780. According to Western, the correct harness for an 01 is 8437-1. Is this a needed harness or can the newer 27780 harness be modified to work on an 01 Chevy? The only problem I am having is no low beams on plow. All other functions work fine. I tried searching for a diagram for the two harnesses but had no luck.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Save yourself the headaches and just get the right headlight harness. If they were cross compatible Western wouldn't make two differenct harnesses. If your time is worth anything don't waste it trying to re-engineer it.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just re-pin your current headlamp harness's and save yourself allot of unneeded expense. Follow this link for the info. Re-pin swap
  4. bob coco

bob coco Member

To B & B,

Thank you, I knew it was possible since all the plugs were the same. I figured there was a simple fix for this. Where can I get a pin extracting tool?

Thank you again for the diagrams.

Regards, Bob
  5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I used some needle nose pliers and carefully pushed the pin out enough to be able to grab it from the other side to pull it out. Take your time and be carefull and you won't have any problems.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Tool trucks and electronics shops sell pin extraction tools, which of course is the proper way to do it. But other things will do also, like a paper clip. Just be gentle so you don't deform the terminals and they're perfectly re-usable.
  7. bob coco

bob coco Member

B & B, Thanks again.

I will get a set from the bargin tool truck. There's 3 different trucks around here. Snap On, Mac and the guy that carries everything from SK to Chinese takeoffs. I have to admit, I bought 2 large size sets of open end offset wrenches from him and they work fine. I am a builder by trade so they only get used on my own equipment. Now my carpentry tools are nothing but the best.