1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to get a project going...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jhall22guitar, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, so I am trying to make a project out of my truck now that I will be commuting to my new college via the train down the street so I wont need my truck, and if I do need a car for the day I will be able to borrow my younger brothers car.

My truck is a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Work Truck with the 6'6" bed. it currently has 145,XXX miles on it. I want to make it run for as long as possible, so yes I get the oil changed every 3K Miles. Now the truck stock seems to be low, and it seems to be the model since it is a 2WD truck.

My goal is to jack it up, put some 35's on it (or something to make it look nice). I dont have much experience with this so I was wondering who might have some input on kits to use. I was looking at doing a 2.5" leveling kit and a 3" lift. Any ideas on who to get them from?

Other ideas to make it run good and long?
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The second paragraph doesn't make much sense.
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Jacking it up with big tires will beat on everything, especially on a 1500. So i would advise against this if you want to make it run as long as possible.
  4. jhall22guitar

Sorry about the 2nd paragraph, studying for finals for two days has my brain in mush.

How bad would a leveling kit be? I'd like to make my truck as high as the new stock 1500's, mine is about 3" lower it seems.
  5. alldayrj

Leveling kit isnt the worst. Most problems come with heavier wheels and tires. They tax the brakes, weak chevy front ends, transmissions, bad fuel mileage, makes the engine work harder.

Don't ask how I, and probably everyone on here know. It seems like a no brainer in high school and turns into a money pit.

If you really just want a little lift, level it, and go up 1 size in tires to an all terrain.
  6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

whats the point of jacking up a 2wd truck just to drive it around on the pavement and wear the tires expensive tires and non heavy duty parts anyways just gonna cost money

i would do a leveling kit to lift it up a bit
  7. jhall22guitar

True, if I get the leveling kit I will keep the 17's on my truck, no point in going bigger, its the same my dad has on his 2011 1500. I wish I could get a 4WD but college is a drain on the bank account haha.

Who makes a good leveling kit? I saw one yesterday for $99 that had a 2.5" for the front, but for an extra $100 you could get 3" blocks for the rear, I feel like that would make it look more like it was a higher truck than just the 2.5" in front?
  8. alldayrj

I would hit the chevy forums for those answers. Traditionally blocks are the cheap way out. I did an add a leaf for the same price and gained a little payload. A true leveling kit only raises the front though.
  9. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Leave it stock.
  10. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I like how the ford guys come in the chevy forum and say that chevy front ends are weak. :laughing:

Pics of your truck would help. If I was you I would keep the truck low. Get some factory 20's. You can find them fairly cheap if you keep a lookout.
  11. alldayrj

Not a ford guy if thats directed at me, i just happen to own one currently. But i have owned a lifted IFS truck and theres no doubting the hell its put through with big tires.
    If you think an ifs on a 1/2 ton truck is super heavy duty then keep laughing all the way to the mechanic.
  12. mossman381

Big tires put stress on all front ends no matter if it is ifs a sfa.
  13. jhall22guitar

I hate being so low, bugs me for some reason haha, I might try the 20's that will bump me up at least.

Side note: the last fords my family owned blew a transmission after 5 years and under 75K, and my Dads old F150 was 6 years old under 90K and blew the engine (2004 I think?) So he got it rebuilt by the Ford Dealer 5 times before it worked again, then sold it to them and they gave him a credit for it without realizing it had a rebuilt engine :laughing: They just happened to have a VERY low miles GMC on the lot and he took it haha. Thumbs Up No problems since.
  14. CR128VT

CR128VT Junior Member
    from Vermont

Rancho makes a bolt in kit with adjustable gas shocks, springs and leveling block for like $210 each.
  15. mossman381

20's will not give you any more height if you use the stock size 275/55/20. Just gives you a better look.
  16. damian

damian Senior Member

You need a thinner girlfriend and try attending some college parties, and cancel your subscription to big truck magazine.