1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to find the right sander

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 89Comanche, Jan 30, 2011.

1. 89Comanche

89Comanche Member

I've browsed the forums, and used the search feature but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
    In my area ice has become more of a problem then the snow fall itself, After having a client fall flat on her face due to ice I want to add sanding to my resume. I plow out about 35 driveways +/- 3-4, I run a 98 Dodge 2500 long bed. I figure in this area per driveway I will need about 20-30 pounds of sand, What would be the most effective and reliable sander for my needs? I was thinking a smaller tailgate spreader but I don't want to be constantly refilling it every other driveway, I don't want to end up with something way to big at the same time. In the past I ran a Down Easter mid box on a 91 Gmc 3500 but found the sander to be far to big for the truck, so I don't want to end up with that problem again. Sorry to ramble on here I'm just clueless on sanders. Basically I am looking for a sander that will fit in the bed of the truck but not over load the truck at the same time, and would prefer the most user friendly controls available.

Thanks for your time
    Matt

2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

You would do well with any of the smaller vbox sanders. I would look into snowex since you arent going to be going through tons of salt per event. They have alot of different sized models and I imagine they have one that would work for you.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you are planning to spread primarily sand, look for a bed chain rather than an auger.

5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Good point, I missed the fact that it will spread sand not salt. I think snoway makes some small chain driven sanders