1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to find info on a place in MA for Fisher Cutting edge mods.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by justme-, Nov 30, 2008.

1. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

OK, It's been a season or two since I saw the posts about this - I saved them and some emails but can no longer find them
    There was a member who ran a welding shop in MA that would re-drill and remount the cutting edge on a Fisher lower to allow more edge use - I want to say he was in Haverhill or Holliston... something that started with an "H".

Anyone remember this mod and/or know who I am looking for?

Thanks!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Most any welding/fabrication shop can do that. The question is cost i'd think it would cost more to do that than to buy a new cutting edge. But in waltham is Central Welding, they are big into plows repair ,backdrag edges, cutting edges...

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's not about replacing the edge, it's to lower the edge changing the angle of the cutting edge to provide better scraping, back dragging, and longer edge usage.

I have 10 plus seasons on my plow with the same cutting edge- by adding it when new it has only worn about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the trip shoe and the cutting edge- great for longevity, but terrible for back dragging and I don't want to add the weight of a separate back drag edge. I'm also getting some wear to my spring mounts on the trip shoe and scarring the ground as if the edge was worn out. Aside from a complete rebuild on the plow (The A frame to blade pivot could be partially to blame), I have been meaning to have this done for a couple of years- and it was less than a drag edge.

MODS- sorry, thanks for moving this- I thought I was in this section when I posted.

Thanks!

4. theplowmeister

from MA

Can you post a pick? I may be slow but I dont understand the problem. I dont see how moving the bolt holes will change the cutting edge angle.

5. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

I have done this to many plows. I normally drill the holes 2inches lower. I would not do it to yours if you allready wore off 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I would do it 1 1/4 down. This only works well on trucks that are high enough. If your truck has a lower stance, you will end up with a very agressive trip edge. Let me know if you want it done,I am in Woburn,Ma
    MOXIE

6. theplowmeister

from MA

Do you mean, re-drill the holes lower on the trip edge?

7. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov Junior Member

You said earlyer redrill the holes in the cutting edge, you meant to say trip edge. That might be good idea but i am going to 1/2 inch high carbon on my next edge.

But how do you change the angle, its on the same plane?

Vance

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

All things being equal the cutting edge is not on the same plane once the mod is done. Yeah, I meant trip edge.
    Fishers have 3 mounting holes from the a-frame to the lift frame to adjust the back arm height which changes the angle of the blade, right? Lets assume the plow is in the hole there which makes the a-frame level when the blade is on the ground as it should be. Now, raise the blade and lower it onto a 2x4 - which is the same effect of lowering the cutting edge on the trip edge. See how the angle of the a-frame changes along with the angle of the blade and cutting edge in relation to the ground?

The shop I was in contact with before re-drilled the trip edge about 2-3 inches lower - the new bolt holes at the ends would be in the wear blocks on the trip edge. I think the rest of the plow has worn while the trip edge has worn minimally- I am no ware near wearing the trip edge too far - the cutting edge when new stuck down about 1/4 inch below the trip edge, now the cutting edge (as of the beginning of last season) was only worn half an inch narrower than a new cutting edge.
    And the truck is a 1 ton diesel so the stance, while probably true it could benifit from new springs, should be fine.