1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to figure out big decision!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jmcamille, Nov 9, 2008.

1. jmcamille

jmcamille Junior Member

I have a buisness in MI. and I am slowly growing my snow removal accounts... I have two 4WD trucks now and need to purchase a 3rd. My problem is I can't buy new and I need a dump truck. All of the used dumps that are 4wd here in MI are beat, rusty, and in my opinion aren't worth more then 5k let alone the 15k there asking!

Now here is my BIG question.... I found the dump truck I wanted... its rust free and a reasonable price only downfall is its an F-550 Dump 2WD.

Has anyone plowed with a 550 dump 2wd??? If so can someone help a brotha out and give me some input???

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I've plowed with a F-550 4x4 many times. It doesnt go anywhere when its in 2wd, even with weight. Just my observation, try to find a 4x4.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Being 2wd is why it's "reasonably priced".

4. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

I have plowed with two wheel drive trucks in the past....dualies though, flat bed stake trucks with a nice load of salt on them. I plowed the parking lots at city hall, police/fire building (big lot), and it worked fine. Although I will say there was some spinning with the tires. Actually, for a lot of years, that is all the city used were 2 wheel drive flat bed stake truck dualies. I don't work in that department anymore, but as far as I know, they still only use them. I know for sure one of them is a 2003ish V-10 2WD dualie stake truck. They say it works great.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Id say keep looking.

6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Hey brad your car is still slow.xysport

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You would def want a 4x4 if you are plowing. Not to mention, if you are doing landscaping with the truck, and driving on customers lawns to dump or haul material, the last thing you want to do is get stuck on someones lawn with a two wheel drive and look like a goof ball.

8. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

While its not exactly what your asking we have an F-350 duallie with a salt dog spreader in the dump box. I'll plow in a light snow in 2wd simply for the ease of turning, but in a moderate snow or if you get a little to ambitious and drive up on a pile you will curse not holding out for a 4x4.

9. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Hey jmcamille,

Ok, heres the scoop on plowing with 2WD. Last year we had a pretty tough winter in SE MI(I think we plowed 16 times) and I would say that we left our F350 dually in 2wd 95% of the time. Heck, I might even say 98% of the time, but the whole problem is the 2% of time you need 4wd to pull yourself out of somethin. That 2% can cause you lots of lost time or cost you money. The money you save now from buying a 2WD will just cost you elsewhere. I use the 2wd trucks for salting only.

I totally know what you mean about the dump truck prices around here. I was thinking about getting one myself this year, but people want 14k for something that is 10 years old and has had the hell beat out of it. Anyway, JMO, good luck.

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont drive cars anymore and my 10 sec z was far from slow.Sounds like u better sick to playing with jeeps.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  11. fran m

fran m Junior Member

I would say that you would be fine with a set of chains on the tires. I vote for having 4wd if you can swing it.

Fran M

12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It depends on what your doing with the tuck. My 450 does roads and parking lots. It does all those with no issues at all. I live in an area with a lot of hills and it has no issue with them either, but I run weight and snow tires. I have to be smart about plowing with it though and know your limits, I don't back drag anything with it, I don't do driveways with it.
    I was not sure how it was going to work when I got it, free to me, but it has worked perfect.
    But If I was buying it today and spending good money I would buy the 4x4. it's there when you need it and like you have found it holds the value better.

13. srg

srg Junior Member
    from USA

to be honest, i wouldn't buy 2WD
    it would look silly trying to plow and u get stuck

14. question: do you plow flat parking lots or will this dually be going up grades ??

big difference imo

might get stuck on the way to the job tho :<))
    tc

15. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Well I have a great F-550 all set up for snow 2007 6.0PSD, 4X4, XLT, 9' Air Flo Proclass high sides. Central Hydro, electric spreader controlls, undertailgate flink center discharge, Blizzard 8611LP, dual Alts, new G124 Goodyears Load range G all the way around, spring build up and the rear, only 7,500 miles. And it was and can still be for sale BUT $15K does not even cover the upfit.......

I personally plowed with this truck last season and loaded with about 6-8tons of salt in 2wheel it move fine BUT if with the amount of snow you are going to want to move with a 550 you need to consider how long your runs will be and what will the pile at the end be llike. I love the LoPro and holding 3-4yard of heavy wet snow in scoop is awesome, but when you need to move that from a dead stop you better have 4X4 and some good rubber.

Get the 4X4 you will be kicking yourself with 2 wheel drive. It is the pay now or pay later.

Best Ron G.

16. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I personally would think you would look like an idiot for pulling a truck that big into a wet sodded yard and very unprofessional in my book. If you get stuck in a yard, it was to wet to be working in it in the first place!

If you are doing big lots that are relatively flat, you will be just fine with a 2wd on a truck of that size. Put some weight in the back, and make sure you have GOOD tires. Not those highway tires that every one likes to put on those trucks. If they are flat jobs, save the money and just use your head. You will have to learn what you can and can't do and might have to get tugged out once or twice by one of your 4x4 while learning the curve. I push 90% of the time in 2wd in my F-350 and only use it because it is easier. I wouldn't think twice about running a dually on my lots that was only 2wd. Don't get me wrong, I need the dually for summer work and it is handy to have for snow, but I personally know 15-20 people in my area that run 2wd F-350, 450 and 550 duallies with little problems, JMO