1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying To Decide Which Plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 32vld, Dec 14, 2015.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I asked in the commercial section and they said the plows I am looking at are not good enough. They said to ask here in the Jeep section.

Thing is the manufacturers do not have a lot of plows to chose from. So I have listed what I am looking at and would like to hear your opinions and I am open to suggestions.

Where I live there is only one Boss dealer about 35 minutes away in good weather and no traffic.

Their efit shows I can use a HTX on 2002 and older Wranglers. Then on 2007 and newer Wranglers. Some reason they left out my 2005. I am going to call their tech services department and ask why.

I like the 7', 26" height at 393 pounds, and stainless steel.

Meyer Drive Pro, 6'8", 22.5" height, 375 lbs, steel. I think the dealer said the 7'6" at 440 lbs would be too heavy.

Western Suburbanite 7'4", 21" height, poly, 270 lbs. I don't like because of the poly and plow maybe to light to back drag clean. I do mostly residential as see the need to back drag well.

I am leaning towards the Meyer 6'8". At 65 lbs more do you guys think the 7'6" plow would be too heavy for the Jeep and would that extra length wind up pushing more snow then the Jeep can handle?

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (TJ long wheel base) 4.0, 6 cyl, 6 speed.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

no plow that you can put on a Jeep will backdrag without a backdrag edge except the Snow-Way plows.

any plow under 7 1/2 foot, when you angle the blade the jeep tires will run over the snow.
  3. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Boss over meyer, coming from a meyer guy. Hiniker over boss.
  4. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

And, air shocks up front with 250 to 300 lbs ballast will fix any sag.
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Go find a Sno-Way plow. there is no better plow for lighter vehicles than this. It has down pressure which means with a flip of the switch it locks down pressure and weight of your jeep onto the plow. Increases it's ability to backdrag or scrape equal to a heavy full plow.

Just don't get the tiny version. 22 series will do commercial. However you will be replacing the cutting edge for a full 1/2" from the stock edge.

Add a few pounds of ballast in the back too.

( installing a plow is easy. Their instructions are good and it takes a day if your slow. Very little maintenance. )
  6. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

You couldn't pay me to take a modern sno-way.

Their welds are junk, their plastic mold boards glaze with most chemicals, cutting edges are thin, wireless controllers and modules are junk, light crossover must plug back to itself on removal to connect truck side lights, connectors fail, and installation and removal is anything but easy
  7. scottL

granted my last sno-way was a few years ago but the ones I just saw where not terrible like this. Cutting edges on the smaller plows ( and even the stock one that came on my last commercial western ) where 3/8 which is a joke to save money. As for the skin - it would never stay shiney clear as day one, that's just not realistic for clear plastic. Light cross seems at first but it does eliminate many relays that others rely on ( isolation modules).

Maybe you had a bad experience.
  8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I install plows for a living. Wouldn't touch one
  9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How is your dealer support in your area for the other brands?
  10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I bought the Meyer 6'8". They will be installing the plow December 30th.
  11. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Good choice. I have one on my jeep liberty. Good plows. Keep the connector for the plow and truck side clean and dialectic greased
  12. scottL

sorry .... why bother with a tiny light plow that will ultimately float more than digging in. sno-way w/down pressure. Only real choice.

I don't install for a living, I have installed a number of them and they just work. What little goes wrong is easy to fix.
  13. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Weight counters down pressure. That is no concern. I plow a mile long drive and a 90x50 cement pad plus several run offs with a drive pro...no issues, no matter the amount of snow.

Down pressure is a gimmick to counter the lack of weight, and is only useful for back dragging. Pretty sure my back drag cutting edge, that does the job, cost less than the difference of cost between a snow way and meyer. Gives damn near the same results, too.

And.. it hitches easier.
  14. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I do not know how good or bad Snow Dogg plows are. The dealer seemed shady. The plows were under a shelf with a lot of stuff piled in front of them. So hard to get a good look at them and judge how well made and difficulty level to connect and disconnect.
    The pervious dealer at this location went bust and the building sat empty for at least a few years. New people in there for about 2 years. Though they were willing to put a 7.5" Snow Dogg on my Jeep.

Boss has nothing to fit Wranglers from 2003 to 2006.

The dealer I bought also sells Western and Fisher. This place has been in business doing custom commercial truck body work and snow removal equipment for over 30 years. The walls and the shelves are loaded with parts for all three brands.

They said stay away from the Suburbanite because even though 7'4" being poly it was too light, up to 270 lb, to scrape well and was not tough enough to do commercial work.

Told them what I was going to use the plow for and they said Meyer 6'8". Had the weight, 380lb, and would stand up.

I seen a lot of youtube TJ wrangler plowing videos. I saw TJ's with 7'5" blades pushing long runs on snow cleaning up commercial parking lots with 2" of snow real easy.

I saw a TJ with a 6'8" having a struggling to move crusted up snow that had been already driven on and rutted and set up hard. Where the plow kept continuously trip over.

I saw TJ with 6'8" pushing 12" of snow on driveways and you heard that Jeep and plow working very hard.

To me it makes sense to get a set up that will work from the easiest storms to the hardest with the least strain on the Jeep.

To get a plow from a dealer that I feel will be able to provide good service because they are well stocked on parts and have lots of experience servicing plows.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Plowing smart makes a lot of difference.
    Not knowing the tension of the trip springs.....
    The use of salt,
    It's a snow plow, not a ice ripper.
    The person driving, experience level.

One minnute a lighter plow was wanted, then a poly one is to light....

I wonder if snow depth,
    Some times you have to polow twice, every 6" and not waite for a foot of f snow or for it to turn to ice.
    Then the weight/ water content/ temp/ all play a roll in the
    Load your rig will see.

Well congtatulations, it only took, what, 2-3 months to pull the trigger?

You can always put some "wings" on it
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  16. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Lol. Poly blades are heavier on the hole than steel. Fyi
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I've said just that, just to be corrected.
  18. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes I took my time to gather knowledge the best I could. And I wanted to get all my fall clean ups done first, which took the first two weeks of December.

Yes I took time to pull the trigger as well because I try to avoid debt and want to know that I can afford a plow. All I know is that if we do not get any snow this year I can afford to keep it and not worry that I can't afford the plow and have to sell it.
  19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The jeep runs a <60 inch track. Plus one tire width at 245mm=9.65" (the widest tire they came with) makes for a total outside of tire to outside of tire width of 69.65 inch. We can call that 70".

Meyer drive pro 6'8" spec indicates 72" width at full angle.

So while not a huge extension beyond the necessary width, the plow does, indeed, cut wider than the tires.

Stepping a meyer up to 7'6" means 81" at full angle. IMO, that can get to be an excessive burden, especially for such a light vehicle, and even worse if you will ever need to push a significant depth of snow with it. For heavy or deep snow, less plow is more, as long as the vehicle isn't narrower than what the plow cuts.

7' is probably a reasonable compromise if somebody wants to go a bit beyond the vehicle without going too far.

If you can consistently assure yourself that you will *always* be able to plow with the storm, 7'6" may be fine, but only because you won't be burdening it with excessive depth.
  20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I feel like that has happened to me too??