1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to decide on a plow: Boss or Western?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GetMore, Oct 29, 2014.

1. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Looking for an 8' straight blade for a 2013 Silverado 2500HD.
    I have a few dealers for each near me. Boss has one 11 miles away, and one about 27 miles away. Western's closest dealer is 21 miles away, and the next one is 27 as well.
    The closest dealers for each are probably the best. I am more confident in the Western dealer, though the Boss dealer lives at the shop during storms.

I like the Boss for the Nitrided pistons, the single connector of the NGE, and the no-bounce direct hydraulic lift.
    I like the Western for the greater conformability, the mounting lock/support feet assemblies, and removable mounts for greater ground clearance.

I do dislike the Boss mount, as it is rather large, and hangs kind of low. I also suspect that it will be difficult to line up when mounting, without help.
    There was something about the Western I question, but it has slipped my mind.

Anyway, has anyone tried both, and can you give me your opinions of them?
    Any help choosing one over the other would be appreciated.

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Here's part of why I switched from Western to Boss. The other part was a very bad customer service experience with Western/DD. To which John Murphy has very recently corrected.

I would have no problem with using Western equipment now, as long as any issues were handled as John handled the one we spoke earlier this week about.

It would come down to dealers open during storms for me, even though we stock parts for stuff that breaks. No Western dealers are, and my Boss dealer is...sold.
  3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Got your other response as well. Thank you.

Since I have not dealt with either, except for looking for info and prices, I don't know how either one will really be. The Western dealer is currently the oldest Fisher dealer in the country. They were number two for a long time, but No.1 closed recently. The family has had five generations run the store so far.
    The Boss dealer sells a lot of truck accessories, some trailers, and rents Ryder or some other van company. He does a lot of work with dealers, installing accessories.
    The Western dealer sells accessories, but is primarily plows. I don't know if they do anything for dealers, other than plows.

Honestly, I think both dealers are going to be decent. I know there are some others around here that I would question a lot more.
  4. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

Well I am very familiar with both Boss and Western. I have run Boss VXT's on both a Chevy 3500 and a Dodge 2500 for the last 5 years. Last winter was my very last winter with a Boss for several reasons. The Boss frame is very low, to the point if I go into camp and the road is beat up it drags sod. It is also a pain to get attached if you are not on a perfectly level (front to back and side to side) surface. Lastly, a full trip mold board is rough to say the least on a V plow. Trip-edge is where it's at.

After doing plenty of research on PlowSite I decided that I wanted a MVP3 to replace my VXT. Unfortunately, the closest Western dealer was 75 miles away so I did what any normal person would do and opened a Western Dealership of my own. Now that I have much more in-depth knowledge of the Western brand and products I am more confident than ever that we have the best plow on the market.
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

This is a huge can of worms.
    If you can fix it yourself and will stock your own parts buy whatever you like the best.
    If you need help in this area buy from whoever can fix it for you in a snow storm.
    I run BOSS and would not change. I have no problems mounting it up and can do it very fast (under a min.)