1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to decide on a plow: Boss or Western?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by GetMore, Oct 29, 2014.

1. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Looking for an 8' straight blade for a 2013 Silverado 2500HD.
    I have a few dealers for each near me. Boss has one 11 miles away, and one about 27 miles away. Western's closest dealer is 21 miles away, and the next one is 27 as well.
    The closest dealers for each are probably the best. I am more confident in the Western dealer, though the Boss dealer lives at the shop during storms.

I like the Boss for the Nitrided pistons, the single connector of the NGE, and the no-bounce direct hydraulic lift.
    I like the Western for the greater conformability, the mounting lock/support feet assemblies, and removable mounts for greater ground clearance.

I do dislike the Boss mount, as it is rather large, and hangs kind of low. I also suspect that it will be difficult to line up when mounting, without help.
    There was something about the Western I question, but it has slipped my mind.

Anyway, has anyone tried both, and can you give me your opinions of them?
    Any help choosing one over the other would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you bottom out the push bar on the boss you will have more to worry about then that. Mounting the boss plow is very easy

3. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Go with the closest dealer to you

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

If the boss dealer lives at the shop that sounds like it's worth quite a bit to me when purchasing a new plow

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I posted in your other thread in the Western section too, but I'll add to it here.

Either plow will take a few times of off and on to get it lined up, but once you do that, you'll know where the headlight has to be in comparision to the driver's side of the truck hood. After I did it 3 times with our first Boss, I can get it just as good as the Western's we've had for quite a while.

Ground clearance and clean look of the Western is great, but to me the dealer being open when it's snowing is a lot of why we switched to Boss, as no local Western dealers are open in the odd hours of snow removal.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'll add a few things
    The single connector sucks imo. If something goes wrong you have to pull all that heavy gauge wire out.
    No bounce.....Yea they still bounce.

7. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

For what it's worth, the Western dealer says they are open through the storm as well. The salesman there said when it slows down (as in nobody has come through the door for half an hour) then they will go home.
    I don't know when the Boss dealer goes home. He only lives there during the storms.

As for the bouncing: I have had an old Fisher, now I have a Snoway. Yes, the Snoway does bounce, but a lot less than the Fisher did. I don't know if the Boss will be better, or the same. I am pretty sure the Western will be just like the Fisher though.