1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to beef up front suspension k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k1500ballin, Oct 6, 2006.

1. k1500ballin

k1500ballin Junior Member

Hey I have a 1988 k1500 with stock suspension. I have an 8 ft. fisher minite mount. I put in Timbrens in it but I still have no support in the front. I want to take a stock suspension off a 88 k3500 and put it my k1500. I wasn't sure if all the parts would fit. I want to put an upper and lower ball joint on it. Also shocks and struts. I want the front end to sit higher so I can push snow up over the curbs. Also It would be nice for it to sit higher while im driving so it wont bottom out.
  2. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

Does this have independent suspension or does it have leafs? I plow with a 91 GMC that has a 4" lift. I added the tembrens, had a custom mount build to allow for the lift, then I got 1 ton torsions out of a junker and installed them. Started getting a lot of flex in the third member and keep breaking the axle housing so I took it to a suspension specialty shop and they reworked the lift components and made it rock solid under there. It plow like a champ now and that is with the weight of a 7'6" Boss V Plow. Plowed first year with just tembrens and had a few problems. Second season broke the axle housing twice in the first week of the snow falling. Had the work done and have had zero down time, and that was with a somewhat heavy snow season.
  3. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Worth the effort?

:waving: kBallin,
    That sounds like a lot of work and expense just to push snow. Do you need the 1500 or would it be better to move up to a 2500 series?

Pale Rider :gunsfiring: