1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trying Salt-away

Discussion in 'Salt Away' started by bike5200, Feb 13, 2008.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Got a quart of Salt-Away, have used it a couple of times to clean up my salt box, seams to work pretty good. Got it in a cheap one gallon pump sprayer. Spray down salt box when done and take buckets of water and wash it off, hose froze. When the salt box dries there is no white residue on it and the black painted metal looks rather clean. Gave some to my buddy to try on his equipment, when I talk to his clean up guy I will let you know what he thinks about it. :drinkup::drinkup:
  2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I purchased some too, but I thought you were supposed to let the Salt Away on whatever you were cleaning and not rinse it off. (I rinsed it off too before I read the instructions...:eek:) I bought a gallon and only got to use it once because I broke the mixing unit the first time I used it and have been too lazy to order another one.

I, too, noticed no residue and thought it would be great to get rid of the salt completely from my v-box spreader.

Let us know what you find out from your friend.
  3. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

To Bike5200 and Lawnscape89,

Thanks for your comments. We do recommend leaving Salt-Away on after it is applied - 2 reasons. The corrosion inhibitors help keep wet areas from rusting, and next time you go out, the film remaining on the surface provides a barrier that helps the new salt come off easier.

Lawnscape89, we replace the Mixing Units at no charge. If you want to send us your address via private email, we'll get one out to you.
  4. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Since there is a heavy residue of salt left on the equipment when done, after washing off, I guess you would recommend respraying everything? I am using your product out of a pump spray can. :drinkup::drinkup:
  5. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

The ideal way to apply Salt-Away, and the way we envisioned the application when it was developed, is to dispense it by a method that uses enough pressure to cause run-off. When there is enough pressure, the run-off creates a "sheeting" effect and all the salt ends up on the ground. It would be a 1-step application.

Your application method still works because you are able to apply SA over the entire piece of equipment, and a good job of soaking through the salt happens. But I would want to get the salt off the truck, so I would spray it off with fresh water, which then would be the same as the "sheeting" effect as described above. This would be a 2-step process, and then 3 steps, if you wanted to reapply SA. You might try step 3 a few times to see if you think it makes a big enough difference to keep doing it.

If you are interested in getting a Mixing Unit applicator, below are 2 distributors you can contact and get one (the Salt-Away product, too). The Mixing Unit is connected to your garden hose and dispenses SA at the correct ratio. The unit isn't built with a sprayer, but has male threads where a trigger sprayer can be connected. This method would be the kind of application that would apply enough pressure to cause run-off. One application covers 1050 sf. When you are finished with the job, a film of Salt-Away remains to keep working after everything is put away.

After having described the application methods (above), most people in your industry use a pressure washer using only water as the first step to remove the big debris and build-up from corners and tight places. The second step would be the Salt-Away application.

North East Services
    543 West Road
    Westfield, MA 01085
    Jeff Stokowski

MML, Inc. (Metropolitan Maintenance & Landscaping)
    11020 West Rogers Street
    West Allis, WI 53227
    Jim Bernhardt

Thanks for the questions.