1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Try making a living here.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Jan 20, 2008.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well i just found out by how much i was under bid on a local Pizza Hut parking lot. My cost was $65.00 for 1-3 $80.00 for 4-6 $110.00 6-12 and salt was extra, are you ready for this the guy that plows the lot now is charging $15.00 each time AND THATS NOT A MIS PRINT now it's one of the assistant managers father but thats still ridiculous, see what i have to deal with. I HATE LOWBALLERS. I found this out by talking to an employee that works there and is a friend of ours.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

WOW Maybe he gets a free pizza and beer. Had that done to me. I feel your pain.:gunsfiring:
  3. DJ Contracting

I am still having a hard time believing it :gunsfiring: $15.00 UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i wonder how reliable and how good 15 dollars worth of service will be :sleeping: yea we got some jamokes around here that pull the same bs then go outta business, or they get in trouble for not being properly insured, some people...
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The best part is he didn't even make enough to by one of their pizzas !
  6. DJ Contracting

I'll let you guys post here for awhile seeing how my wife wants her laptop back. I HATE LOWBALLERS did i say that already.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Then tell her she has to post a picture of herself first!
  8. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

You will always find that you get under bid by either a person they know or an employee. I had a customer call the other day and said his employee got a plow. I was like cool so have him do it then. He asked if id be willing to plow if he had to work. I said either all or none and this time i won. Not always the case though. So id just chalk it up as just biz and nothing personal. Plenty of work for us hustlers
  9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

lol i wouldnt fret over it too much,,, chances are if he's plowing for that little he doesnt have the knowledge or skill you have and probaly not the quality of equipment either, he probaly doesnt have a spreader either for the salt.
  10. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

Was this your only account or something? I wouldn't get all upset over losing a crappy account like that. They'll probably be looking for a new plow guy sooner than later anyway when $15 guy doesn't show up to do it. Who want to drag their sorry a$$ out for $15?

Just wait it out. They'll come crawling back.
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The guy that's doing it is the father of an asst manager. He's just doing it to help out his son. He might do a fine job. Has nothing to do with his expertise or anything else.
  12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Helping out his father...while seeing as though the expense would go back to the corporation he really isn't helping his son out! He is just making it harder for us to make a living doing this!
  13. DJ Contracting

No i have plenty of work for two trucks and a sidewalk guy. it's not the account it's what he is doing to the market around here.
  14. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Is an uninsured contractor ($ is changing hands even if it's only $15.00) really "helping" anyone out ?? When something goes wrong, and we all know it can at anytime I don't think it's gonna look like such a good deal. The last Pizza hut I plowed was never billed under $200.00 a push. The "uninsured" guy doing it now I've heard doing it for $75 a push. Lowballers are everywhere. Can't wait until one tags a new Lincoln in the parking lot. Let's see $3500.00 for a fender and repaint divided by $75 = shoot he's only gotta plow them 47 times to cover it ! Eating all the expenses the whole time. Now that's kinda funny to think about. People that hire uninsured lowballers are probably just not educated on the risk they are assuming. Maybe we should send them a newsletter outlining the need for proper coverage pre-winter. Then if they still hire the $15 dollar guy they're just stupid and will not be in business longterm anyway and we can try to deal with the next owner/manager. A side note here- I'm involved with a company that cleans commercial kitchen hood systems (chemical/hot press. water) in alot of chains like Pizza Hut and they always ask for $1 million liability to be able to do it. But they don't mind a piece of heavy equipment operating on their property with no insurance ? What's up with that ??
  15. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

Heavy equipment? WTF?? :D
  16. DJ Contracting

Well at least i just picked up another Dr. office on the 17th of January both plowing and salting (i never turn down gravy work payup ) it's right around the corner from a Adult rehab home that i have and will only take 15 min. to do.
  17. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I had a bar / pizza shop that is open from 10 a.m. untill 4 a.m. every day off the week, it was a good size lot, I charged $1000 for the season and that was 2" and up. Ya, so I got dumped for a guy that is now doing it for a $ 25 bar tab every time it snows. :realmad:
  18. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again. We provide a service, just like your wireless carrier provides and we're not talking about generic prepaid service. We're talking about a reliable network that will provide you with whatever you need but you have to be committed with them on a dotted line and on that dotted line there is fine print stating that you are obligated and mandated to pay a $150-200 termination fee for each line they provide you. there is no and if's or buts. Some walk because they can't commit to it.

It's the same damn thing when it comes to a service like ours, only our service is needed more. Anyone out there that is providing any snow removal/plowing/icemelt service without a signed name on a dotted line is NOT a real account. period. you have nothing to protect you from a legal aspect or a financial aspect.

Low ballers are just under bidders, face it they can do it cheaper than you and they are just suplementing there daily job. Don't blame them, blame the dumb ass property manager for being a tight ass and not realizing that you get what you pay for. Lets say they do provide a good service for the time being but when there **** breaks or they hit someone or something. they will be up **** creek without a paddle

Anyone complaning or asking for advice about lowballers and you don't have an early term. fee, its your own fault. This will seperate your clients from your customers. We're suppose to be improving the industry
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  19. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

-sounds like this guy needs to go into there needs to be a "moron forum" this guy is helping his son out. sure, is the assistant manager have ownership in the store probably not. is pizza hut gonna pat his back for getting it done so cheap? hell no!! they could care less, helk they are laughing at the dynamic duo as they are writing out a check saying "what a couple of moron's"!! go get another account elsewhere.
  20. DJ Contracting

Thats just it i never had a chance to get them to sign that i submitted to them, (and trust me i have been doing this long enough to know about contracts) i did plow out the store twice and got paid out of the till, then just prior to the third storm i contacted the manager for them to sign the contract and she said that they were still taking bids, anyway the storm came and went and the store went with out plowing till somebody cleaned it up the following night.