1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Try again; Do you treat residential customers poorly then complain about them

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theplowmeister, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Do you treat your residential customers like second class citizens.

Poll closed Dec 25, 2008.
  1. Yes; I treat them like second class citizens and I complain about it.

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. No; I treat them badly but don't complain;

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. I have no problem with my residential customers

67 vote(s)
    89.3%
  1. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Just wondering, I see a lot of complaints about residential customers. I plow 100 residential customers and have for 22 years, I cant even think of one to complain about! So I was wondering, is it because I treat them like they are my bread and butter as well as the cream. payup

The question is;
    Do you treat your residential customers like second class citizens,
    then complain when they pester you? :realmad:

Yes; I treat them like second class citizens and I complain about it.
    No; I treat them badly but don't complain;
    I have no problem with my residential customers

PS I did NOT include (I treat them like gods and I still get complaints)

Just food for thought

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

I don't treat them poorly, but they are the last ones plowed on our routes. The commercial properties come first.

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I've only had one compliant from a drive . it was dumb, you plow to much . so I said ok how do you want it done ? now they get to be at the end of my list & only in big storms . than again I only plow 10-20 drives . :D I do biz plowing too . I think their harder one day we had 3" so I plowed got the call do plow that !! next day 2" why didn't you plow . I no longer plow for him haven't in two years I see a new guy there every plow .( I worked for him 2 years :bluebounc ) that was my last compliant !!

So my answer is no they pay me just like a biz.

4. theplowmeister

from MA

AAAA... by definition is thet not a second class citizen?

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

This is true.

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

No, because they have later target clear times than commercial properties so they naturally fit in perfectly after the commercial routes are finished.

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Nice how they fit in.

8. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

Someone has to be last.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow you seem to enjoy stirring the pot so far in this thread.

Most of my resi's fall in the middle of my route and a couple at the end. Everyone is usually done by 7 or 7:30 AM (standard disclaimer applies) so what is the difference where they fall in the route?

10. theplowmeister

from MA

Yaa I like stirring the pot.:jester:

I am NOT pointing at any one post or person
    The editorial you, them, plowers....
    When “you” say "The resis come last" that is not someone coming last, that is putting an entire class of customer last. As in they dont matter or are not important. At the moment there are 3 threads open complaining about residential customers.

If you can put the resi last and not get complaints and don't complain about getting calls fine.

I read how some of the plowers treat there customers. If I had a Honda Civic or a Camry and had to get to work I would complain too.

But come on, some plowers dont start plowing resis until after 9:00 am and complain about getting calls at 10:00 AM Saying the customer doesn’t understand someone has to be last. Or should all customers have 4X4 cars? If so why would they need us to plow. I’m glad my customers need me.

If I get a complaint I figure I did NOT do something to satisfy MY customer or we had a failure to communicate.

So I gota ask why?
    Why does one plower have so many “bad” customers?
    If resis are such a PITA Why do some of these “complainers” plow resis.

JMO

11. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I only keep resis for 1 season (sometimes much less). Help me figure out why. I always plow them within 5 days of a storm. I usually get to my best resis by the 3rd day following and finish up sometime on the 5th day.....about 50% of the time I find the drive done and the customer tells me I am fired. WTF??

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

is this a joke or are you serious?!

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

the answer around here should a yes....

I have a 40 house HOA that has about 1 1/2 miles of 2 lane road that needs plowed.
    I get XXX for the road and do each drive way at $40 each. i get one check from the HOA. the home owner is to shovel his own side walk from his door to his drive way. every dam year the same guy (one house) has a fit because i did not do his walk way....... every one else 39 houses worth people will at different times walk out and bring me a drink or ask if i want something to drink.

there is a differance between plowing a commercial lot / road way and a residential drive. a commercial lot you can get away with not getting it spotless. for the most part a commercial lot will pay better, then the residential drive. this is the sole reason you see all the " i got low balled" threads on here.

14. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

it would be a joke.
    or his residential customers are smoking crack... for waiting 3 days

15. theplowmeister

from MA

So thats a good thing, sloppy plowing?

Really?

(How many driveways can you plow in an hour) X (average charge per driveway)

(charge for plowing commercial lot) / (time to plow commercial lot)

I can plow 10 driveways in 1 hour

I don't think I can charge that much per hour for plowing parking lots

16. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

the sloppy plowing is not a good thing, it is just they can get it done faster....

the differance is when your plowing driveways is you have to move from one to another witch takes time and if you have to run 4x it takes even more time to lock and unlock it. plus you have different types of drive ways.... where the 40 i plow are all the same ( in past the side load garage, back up push turn around spot, back out widen turn around, back out widen going back out) then next driveway... i have no need to lock or unlock 4x

the only lot i know the pricing on is a 16 car (8 on each side) $150 for anything under 6 inces. there is no way that lot takes more then half hour. i know subs in this area are getting $85-100 hr you can bet the guys they are plowing for are making that if not more.

17. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

41 targets
    2 resi's and 1 resi on call
    of the resi's
    down the street, our welder on the way out and on the way back
    second a former bank manager, after the car leaves the drive way in the am, (heck his street never gets plowed 'til late afternoon)
    'on call' 75 years old, no where particular to go during a storm, calls in during heavy fall and asks to be done at the end of the list
    all are content with that

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  18. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

My trucks start at 2am Most of my resi comes after nine. except for a select few. I have a few elderly people, they dont go far but get nervous if they have snow. A few Ladies with cars :) and the rest come after they have gone to work. They understand about the order and i tell them if they want it done prime time, ie before 7am it costs more. I have 25 medical/commercial and 30 houses. I have yet to lose any, only gain. Just how it works up here.

19. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I have a positive relationship with about 100 or so residentials. This keeps me working during the non-snow months.

20. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What do you mean 41 Targets? As in Target stores? If yes you must have a 500 mile route!